Home--How low should a subwoofer go?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mdaniel, Nov 13, 2005.

1. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I'm thinking of getting a pair of floor speakers for the front of a home theater setup and for 2 channel stereo. The ones I'm looking at go down to 38Hz with two 6.5" woofers. What kind of bass am I going to get out of those in home theater mode? 38Hz isn't much higher than some subs I've seen. Will adding a separate sub, even if it only hit 34 or 35Hz make a difference? Or do I really need to get one that goes a lot lower? Of course, I'd like to go down to 20Hz, but I don't know if I want to spend the money to get that low cleanly. How low is low enough?

2. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

How fast is fast enough for a car? My answer is different then my mothers. It is up to you. IMO a sub that can only hot 34 or 35 is

1. a piece of crap
    2. not worth it

What can you afford for a sub?

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I'd like to stay under $250-300 on pricegrabber.com prices (not list price).

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

you definately want your sub to extend lower than your mains, the 20hz range is optimal.

5. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Is 38Hz @ -3dB? Anyway, assuming the 6.5" driver is not a dedicated woofer (say 38-500Hz) then it will not play 38Hz very loudly. This is due to the amplifier having to drive it at a wide range of frequencies. 38Hz is also not very low when it comes to some home theater material. You will probably be satisfied for a little while without a sub, but soon enough you'll rent a DVD that has some real low bass content and your mains will poop out on you and disappoint. Then you'll go shopping, and when you do get something that plays down to at LEAST 30Hz @ -3dB. Also, when shopping, remember to take the size of your room into account. A 250Watt sub in general will fill a small to medium sized room with fairly loud levels, but if that room has large openings to other rooms, or it is a large family room, you'll need more power.

6. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

Under 300?

Check http://www.vanns.com

Velodyne DLS3750R SILVER
    or
    Mirage Omni S10-Platinum

both are $250, 50% of msrp if they are in stock

or parts express was having a sale on thier budget subs last week.

7. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I highly reccomend that Velodyne from Vanns, I got mine there and am very happy with it.

You may get good bass out of your mains for music, but for home theater, you will definitely want a sub.