GUN home defense weapon

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Paul Revere, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

before you come in here and post "do a search faggot noob" this thread ISNT about me choosing a home defense weapon. in light of the heller thread coming to the verge of derailment due to arguing about home defense, this will be the proper thread for it.

in here you will explain what weapon and ammo YOU have selected to defend your castle should the need arise and why you have selected the pair.

at the moment i am using my Sig P226 and 124gr +P Gold Dots. I have chosen this for a few reasons, some of which you all might find more valid than others :o

firstly, it's small and easy to hold. some bits of my house have narrow doorways where maneuvering a rifle might be a bit trickier. second, i will soon be putting a light on it (none of my long guns have lights). lastly, i WOULD be using my AR15, but since im in the "proud" state of CA, i have a bullet button and any type of timely reload is basically out of the question.

while i understand that an AR15 and 55gr softpoint TAP is one the best combinations for HD, the fact that my magazine is pinned to my gun doesn't help :hs:

:wavey: your turn

2. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

AR, and now a 92FS in the bedside stand with +P Gold Dots as well.

I am very familiar with the Beretta and for me having 15+1 rounds plus two other 10 rounders (I know :greddy: they came with the gun) is better because I know the gun and I can shoot well with 9mm.

EDIT: However I would really like to enlist in a fighting rifle+pistol class. Particularly one that has you using the rifle and learning how to transition to the pistol in a variety of situations. This to me would be far and away more valuable than another gun or widget for the firearms I already own.

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:cool:

4. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I use my GLOCK 23 most of the time since it's on my hip. It's loaded with 180 grain Winchester Rangers. At night it goes on the nightstand next to the maglite.

Also leaning against the nightstand and within arms reach 85% of the time is my AR loaded with 75gr TAP (30 +1 in one mag, 28 in the one attached to the clamp).

At night in bed the ar would be my go to weapon, rest of the time it isn't practical to carry around a rifle.

5. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

PT-99 9mm with 124 +P Gold Dots. 15 rounds in the gun and 15 more in the holster mag pouch. Usually either sitting next to my bed or in the cabinet 5 feet away.

The mags hold 17, but I just put 15 in them. Also I don't keep one in the chamber. Bad idea?

6. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

currently i have ar15 with 55g soft points, and 870 super express loaded with 3 1/2" mags under the bed, 1911 is on night table

7. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

My Kimber TLE II. Loaded with 230grn TAP. Spare mags on hand. I chose the Hornady TAP because it functions flawlessly in my weapon of choice.

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Right now I have an 870 police with 00 buck that patterend tight. I'm planning to move to my ar with 75gr tap when I feel more skilled with it because I feel like the pump shotgun is more obsolete than necessary for this purpose.

9. texchef

texchef Guest

Mine is which ever gun I can get to the fastest. Glock 19 in the lock box by the bed and XD9 in the range bag in the closet. WWB ammo...i'm poor.

10. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Glock 19 w/ two mags of Winchester Ranger RA9TA.

11. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

AR15 w/ EOTech 553 and TLR1 loaded with 75gr TAP 5.56mm

Ballistic data shows TAP to be the most effective JHP in gelatin. Use would be to take a defensive position and keep the AR trained on the door to the master bedroom.

Glock 21 w/ TLR1 loaded with 230gr Federal HST

Again, ballistic data shows HST to expand the most reliably of any JHP. Preferred weapon for clearing the house however I really would not want to do this with or without training. Holing up with the AR or shotgun would be preferred.

Mossberg M590A1 w/ Surefire 623FA forend, Mesa Tactical 6-shot shell carrier and Speedfeed stock loaded with TAP low-recoil 00 buckshot

Easy to bring the shotgun back on target plus consistent patterning. Use would be similar to the AR.

HK USPc 9mm loaded with RA9T

Decently reliable JHP that I just haven't gotten around to replacing with HST.

12. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

Sig 2022 and 229R in 9mm with GDHP 147gr

13. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

WASR-2 with bulgarian surplus ammo. :rofl: Not a "burglar just broke in" gun, but more of a natural disaster/rioting defense gun.

14. cent

cent New Member

i have a S&W MPc 9mm but i'm too lazy to bring it inside so 99% of the time its in the car. i do keep my egyptian hakim loaded but that is way over kill and too big of a rifle to get through a door, but its better then nothing i guess. i need to pick up a cz-82 or zastava m59/66

15. texchef

texchef Guest

I hear mf101 never needs reloading, makes attackers shit their pants upon hearing him zip his pants and is always on full auto.

16. johnson

johnson New Member

Either H&K P2000SK w/ RA9T or SIG P229R w/ GDHP 124gr +P and Insight M3x. Both are in the lock box.

My preferred choice would be an AR with 75gr TAP but I dont have an upper. I dont see any need to buy a shotgun.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  17. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

[​IMG]

Need I really say anything?

For realz. When it ever comes in (mother fucking lame ass local shop) my Sig P250 with +P Ranger-T, my carry gun.

18. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

[​IMG]

My defensive weapon of choice is my 870. I leave it hot at all times and keep it near me. It's one of 3 guns that does not live in the safe.

While you guys see me shooting the semi auto race shotguns believe me when I say I got pump gun skills. I can finger load a shotgun real shoot, and I played 11 years proffessional paintball back in the pump gun days (prior to semi autos and electropnumatics). This 870 is also what I started with for 3 gun, and I used it for 3 years for steel plate matches.

Also being a 870 it also makes a great club. It's built like a bat.

19. dymondboy2f

dymondboy2f Second place is the first loser.

Sig 226 or S&W sw40ve.. Both sit next to my bed in a safe, both are loaded with Golden Saber 180 Grain but not chambered. When I'm sleep ing the safe is unlocked incase anything may happen.:o

20. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

G29 155gr xpb's is usually whats out. WASR2 with 7n6 is also accessible.

21. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

I've got my M&P.40 in the drawer of my nightstand 2 (10rd) mags loaded with Winchester Hollowpoints.
    I've also got the Mossberg 500 near-by, but it only has bird shot in it.
    The AR is loaded with regular plinking ammo.
    The GF has a Glock27 in her nightstand also loaded with Winchester Hollowpoints.

22. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

So why the 870 still today yar? You must be just as quick and accurate with an ar or your 3 gun shotgun.

23. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I could go either shotgun, rifle, or pistol of course. I feel in the home and under stress the shotgun would be better for me. A little less worry about over penetration of walls. If I were leaving the house knowing there was going to be a fight I would take a rifle of course.

What it comes down to is that the shotgun is set up to be a defensive gun full time. None of my rifles are set up this way (weapon light, defensive ammo, always hot.) I have a pistol that is full time defensive w/ weaponlight but I'm grabbing the shotgun first.

24. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

For "at a moment's notice" home defense, I keep my Springfield Armory XD-45 is pretty much always within a few steps from me. Loaded with custom loaded 230-grain, 1050 ft/sec hollowpoints.

For "repelling some invaders" home defense, my mini-14 is ready to fire in the bedroom, loaded with 68-grain, 3000 ft/sec hunting rounds.

And for serious "holy shit I need the heavy firepower" defense, I have my CETME loaded up with 165-gr, 2850 ft/sec hunting rounds. Because you never know when you'll need to shoot through body armor or a brick wall. :cool:

25. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I have the carry gun on the nightstand, a kel-tec PF9, and a Mossberg 500 Defender 7+1 with mounted surefire under the bed.