GUN Home Defense Situation/Advice

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bpa00, Mar 18, 2009.

1. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

The thread about the home owner getting shot by the police while holding an intruder at gun point got me thinking... Assuming you haven't taken out the bad guy, what is the correct course of action for you to take once the cops show up at your door??

Here is my scenario/dilemma...

My house is situated with the entrance, living room, kitchen, etc on the ground level, and the bedrooms upstairs. The stairs leading to the 2nd level are 1 flight up, a landing that is exposed to the living room, and then another set of stairs to the bedroom hallway. To enter the master bedroom, you have to walk through a door width corridor.

My plan for dealing with an intruder is to get myself and my fiance (no kids to worry about) into the master bedroom and close/lock the door. The first thing I would do is grab my 12 gauge and loudly chamber a round. While I was doing this, my fiance would be calling the police. Then... I would keep my shotgun trained on the bedroom entrance... and we would wait for the police. Should the intruder venture into the bedroom, he would be completely exposed and quickly be filled with 00 buckshot. I would not venture out of the bedroom to "hunt" the bad guy.

Once the police get there, I now don't know exactly what to do. I don't know where the bad guy is in the house, or even if he is still in the house at all. I would rather not expose myself to being shot by the bad guy (or the police) should I venture out of my room. Any tips/advice would be appreciated.

2. maybeitsyou

maybeitsyou New Member

wouldnt the police announce there arrival?

3. Hibidi-Shibidi

Hibidi-Shibidi New Member

You are supposed to stay on the phone with the dispatcher and he/she is supposed to verify the officers presence.

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Your best bet is to describe your appearance to the dispatcher then lock yourself in a room. You need to think about other possible scenarios. Don't just have one plan. Who's to say the intruder won't be between you and your bedroom.

I think you have the right idea though, if you have no kids to worry about and you and your fiance are together, your best bet is to sit tight, and wait for the cops. That tacticool room clearing stuff is bullshit unless you are trained for it or you have kids that need to be gathered up.

5. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Will they just kick the front door in and enter??

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  6. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

All my guns are currently in the bedroom. I do think about hiding guns in other rooms of the house... but I worry an intruder might then find them and use them against me.

Yeah... My goal in this situation is to maximize the safety of my fiance and then myself. I don't feel the need to try and be Jack Bauer.

7. When you think the police have arrived, I'd try to communicate verbally with the officer before they get to your bedroom. Announce your location and that you are armed. Let them tell you what they want you to do.

8. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

:werd:

9. Hibidi-Shibidi

Is this being completely overlooked?

10. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

wrong thread :o

11. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Truth. My question is when the dispatcher confirms they have arrived, what do I do next?? Will they just ram the front door down (have a pretty hefty dead bolt)... or expect me to let them in??

12. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Well as long and you don't do anything noisy to announce your presence...

Like that, you should be OK.

13. Hibidi-Shibidi

The dispatcher will normally instruct you on what to do. They will tell you the officers name that responded to the call and that he is in your house. How they get in the house is not of your concern, really.

The officer will announce his presence, most likely have backup, and clear the house. The dispatcher will alert the officer to which room you are in, and when the officer approaches the room, he will alert you to who he is and his name that should coincide with the name the dispatcher gave you.

At that point, tell the officer that you are armed, and what he would like you to do.

14. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Hopefully the intruder would just flee when he was alerted to the fact that I was armed and ready to defend my home (verbally or by the sound of my 12 gauge being chambered)... If he chose not to leave, then he would be at a severe tactical disadvantage should he decide to pursue me into the bedroom.

btw... I wouldn't just stand in front of the door waiting for him. That would be kinda stupid should he decide to put a few rounds through the door... My plan would be to be seeking cover (or at least concealment) behind my bed, which is off to the side, but still offers a clean shot into the doorway/entry way into the room.

Obviously, if I can not make it to my guns reasonably safely... then I would look to flee the house or at least conceal my presence and hope he either doesn't find me or I can at least surprise him and engage him by hand. I am confident in my ability to take him out by hand should I get my fist (or other object) on him before he can get his gun/knife/etc on me.

15. WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot New Member

My bedroom is upstairs with a nice open view of downstairs, all my weapons are in my master bedroom, depending on what I hear below I will either grab my SIG, grab my Shotty or in a real SHTF sit grab my AK.

I take a elevated post above the LR and rack the slide/chamber a round, wait for the target to reveal himself and commence house cleaning.

16. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

I've asked a few police officers about catching intruders. They've all said its better to kill them onsite then to try to hold them and wait for police. One said to keep shooting till you know they are dead, then put the gun down and wait for the cops outside.

Ofcourse I dont know how i feel about that advice.

17. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

Why is the shotgun not already chambered? There are no kids to worry about.

18. WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

I always think of it like this... I can not imagine more a deterrent than hearing a nice loud sliding of the rack.

If you don't leave someones house after hearing that sound, you deserve to get blasted.

19. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

how about the last thing they hear is the blast from your gun before slipping quietly into eternal sleep?

20. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Good thread.

These are the things you need to consider ahead of time, because as that case demonstrates, a LOT can go wrong when you get multiple people with guns in the same room, no matter what you do to prepare. Constant, clear, and stupidly redundant communication and coordination is required.

Paramount importance is to REPEATEDLY impress upon the 911 dispatcher they NEED to tell the responding officers to play it cool because one of the good guys has a gun too. Insist the dispatcher confirm to you VERBATIM what they have told the responding officers.

Be aware, the dispatcher has only been trained to tell you to put away the gun before police arrive. Depending on what the bad guy is doing, this may not be your best course of action and only you can make that call.

What else can we tell them to prepare? Dialogue might start with Homeowner is armed. Homeowner is 6', white male, no shirt, blue pants. Intruder is white male, black shirt, black jeans, black boots, armed with crow bar. Officers should NOT enter until they have advised dispatcher they have arrived, and dispatcher has gotten acknowledgement from homeowner it is safe to proceed.

21. WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Awww, that's sweet.

:mamoru:

22. Keesh

Keesh New Member

How about you deserve to get blasted for even being in my house. Why am I going to be less prepared in hopes of scaring them off? Now that you've told them exactly where you are you'd better hope you can dodge bullets or they run off. I won't take my chances.

23. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I'm a fan of leaving the shotgun hot. that way it is ready when you need it. If you were ever in a situation where you wanted to give a warning (insert crazy hypothetical situation) then you can always rack out the round in the chamber. Personally I think the sound of "I got a loaded shotgun motherfucker" is as scary as [sound]click-click[/sound].

As far as cops it's entirely dependent on what kind of cops respond to your call. If they are professional coppers then they would announce themselves and direct you how to proceed. If they're some yahoo's they could very well shoot your dog coming in, then shoot you if they see the gun in your hands.

I would probably stay my ass in the bed room and commentate with the cops through a closed door until I'm satisfied that they are indeed cops, they are not going to shoot me when I come out, and they have the area secured. You can look out the windows and see if you can see a squad car w/ light on outside etc.

24. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Had another idea. You could drill your bedroom door with a peep hole like your front door. Then you could verify if it was cops or the criminal fronting like a cop. Could could tape your side of the peep hole until you needed to use it.

With as inexpensive as web cam stuff is nowadays you could wire up portions of your home with web cams. Even if you had only 3 webcams having one at your front entry, room where valuables such as TV or other stuff criminals would be after. Then you have some visability without exposing yourself.

25. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

We do have 2 cats though that like to f*ck with stuff. I would prefer to leave it un-chambered with the safety off, than leave one in the chamber with the safety on. I figure that in a high stress situation, it will be much easier to remember to chamber a shell than to remember to turn off the safety.