Home Decor Resources

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by cedric, Jun 18, 2007.

1. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

For all your homogay (and occasionally heterostraight ;)) interior design needs...

FURNITURE:

www.ikea.com - What we like to refer to as "disposable furniture." Sure it's cheap, but they still have some great pieces...especially if you're looking to decorate your first place.

www.crateandbarrel.com - Contemporary housewares and furniture with clean lines. A little pricey, but not unreasonable.

www.potterybarn.com - A little more traditional than contemporary, still their housewares and accessories are top-notch. Expect to pay a bit more for them though.

www.restorationhardware.com - Traditional-leaning furniture, accessories and fixtures with some contemporary flare. If you like Pottery Barn, you'll probably like this place too. Not exactly for the budget-conscious, but good for ideas.

www.westelm.com - The contemporary side of Pottery Barn. Home furnishings, accessories etc. at a lower cost than its older-fashioned big brother.

www.cb2.com - Crate & Barrel's modern side at very reasonable prices. Lots of mid-century inspiration and clean lines for that loft feel. A great source for cheap, cool accessories, barware and dinnerware.

www.eq3.com - Some nice basic pieces at reasonable prices — think somewhere between Ikea and Crate & Barrel with regard to price, style and quality...although probably closer to Ikea than C&B.

www.dwr.com - Pricey reproductions of mid-century modern furniture and newer designs by well-known names.

www.inmod.com - More mid-century modern stuff, although, like Chiasso, a lot of their pieces are knockoffs. You can't tell the difference though.

www.roomandboard.com - Moderately-priced contemporary furniture of solid quality. A very nice over-all variety, including all your favorite mid-century classics. They even have several lines of customizable pieces. Room & Board prides itself on getting almost all of its inventory from furniture makers in the US.

www.chiasso.com - Can't afford dwr? you'll find a lot of the same pieces here at half the price...just without the fancy labels.

www.eurway.com - More modern and mid-century modern knock-offs. Similar to Chiasso, but with less stuff and less dedicated to MCM.

www.scandinaviansdesign.com - Contemporary but not too much so. A good alternative to Crate & Barrel if you want something on the cheaper end but better quality than Ikea.

www.plushpod.com
    (added 3-24-09) - Modern furniture and accessories from smaller manufacturers like Blu Dot and Offi. Very cutting edge stuff, but you'll pay a premium for a lot of items here. Probably more practical for their smaller stuff, but nevertheless fun to browse for cool ideas and inspiration.

www.2modern.com - More modern furniture, bedding and accessories. 2modern carries many of the same designers as plushpod, but has a greater variety and is generally more mid-range with regard to price.

www.designpublic.com - Everyone keeps asking "where can I get that platform bed?!" here's the answer. Search "Lax." They also have a huge selection of great bedding. Good people and great customer service. They're based out of SF :hs:

www.boconcept.us - Minimalist modern furniture. Their selection isn't huge, but they have some nice things and while they're probably on the higher end of reasonable, their prices aren't quite at the level of ridiculous.

www.Overstock.com - From ultra-modern to ultra-traditional, this site has pretty much everything from furniture to accessories and more. Expect moderate quality at rock-bottom prices that even ebay sellers have a hard time competing with. This is a great source if you're just looking for basic bedding or bath items.

www.ae-home.com - Modern high-end furniture and accessories. Very decent selection. No prices on the site, but If you have to ask...

www.target.com - Yes, believe it or not, Target has a LOT of furniture. 99.9% of it isn't stocked in their stores and the few pieces I've seen were of Ikea quality, but for the price, it's hard to beat. They usually carry knock-offs of pieces you can find at places like Crate & Barrel and Pottery Barn, but at half the cost.

www.bdiusa.com - Specializing in contemporary media storage for people with money. Nice stuff, but they don't list most of their pricing. Yet another high-end, "if you have to ask" store...

LIGHTING/BEDDING/ACCESSORIES:

www.umbra.com (added 3-22-09) - Modern home goods at prices that make them accessible to everyone. Umbra's products can be found in stores ranging from Target to The Container Store all the way up to the W Hotel Store, but on their site you can see everything they have to offer. I especially like them for their selection of creative storage solutions. People who live in smaller spaces should definitely check this site out. Good design doesn't have to cost a fortune.

www.whotelsthestore.com
    - Soup Dawg, I herd you like The W Hotels. Lots of neat modern home accessories and knicknacks. One of the few places that caters just as much if not more to men than women. Prices can be a tad steep, but they're actually pulling pieces from some reputable designers like Starck and Alessi.

www.inhabitliving.com - Simply amazing bedding and home textiles. You can also buy their stuff at designpublic or 2modern.

www.ylighting.com - Nice modern lighting solutions — I especially like their build your own track-lighting from their amazing selection of components. Expect to pay for the quality, but the prices are still within the budgets of most people.

www.csnlighting.com - An extensive selection of traditional and contemporary styles, but really more Home Depot than DWR. If you don't care about names like: "Gastiglioni" or "Herman Miller," you might find what you're looking for here. The website's a bit tricky to navigate, especially with such a huge array of products, so it might benefit you to have some idea of what you're looking for before visiting.

www.zgallerie.com - Mostly good for accessories and decor rather than furniture, you'll find a decent selection of botanicals, vases, pillows etc here. Their style is essentially the same as Pier1 and Cost Plus (Pier1 no longer sells goods on the web) and at comparable prices.

www.worldmarket.com
    - Lots of very reasonable accessories and housewares to be found here. Their furniture selection at the stores is pretty limited and it all looks like it came from a plantation home somewhere in Bombay, but if you're into that style, you should check it out. It's very much along the same vein as Pier 1.

www.lumens.com - Specializing in lighting and accessories, this website boasts an impressive inventory. If you're looking for ways to illuminate your place with the most recognizable names from the past 50 years, this isn't a bad option. The website could use some work though.

www.jamaligarden.com - Very reasonable vases, garden accessories and botanicals. The same stuff you'd find at Pottery Barn for Ikea prices.

www.nettletonhollow.com
    - Chic botanicals for the person who wants to decorate their place with something organic yet low-maintenance. Prices are fair, but the shipping is a little steep, so make sure your order is large enough to make it worth your while.

www.save-on-crafts.com (added 5-15-09) - Just about anything you could want when it comes to botanicals. They don't have the same upscale feel as nettleton, but their prices are about half of what you'd pay there and they have a lot of the same products and a lot more. Because there's so much on this site, it's a good idea to have an idea of what you're looking for. Look at Nettleton Hollow for ideas then come here to see if you can find your materials for cheaper.

www.dvider.com - Clean and simple room dividers that can be installed practically anywhere, made from sail cloth. Expensive, but very cool and probably not that difficult to duplicate (I know for a fact that Ikea sells similar tension poles).

RESOURCES:

www.architecturaldigest.com
    - An excellent basic if you don't really know what style you like. This magazine covers it all, yet no average person could come close to affording any of it.

www.dwell.com - My bible. Live at home in the modern world.

www.livemodern.com - The offshoot forum for dwell. A great place to look for answers on just about anything related to sustainable or modern decor.

www.wallpaper.com - An international design magazine that combines high fashion with chic interior design. More form than function, but still cool if you can get past the prices.

www.dzinestore.com - A great resource if you're searching for works by particular designers like Starck, Castligioni etc. and where to find their pieces. They have a storefront, but their website is more concept than retail.

BLOGS:

www.apartmenttherapy.com - Great place to look for home decor DIYer's. Just a lot of cool stuff in general.

www.curbed.com - Design blog along the same vein as apartmenttherapy with subsections for various locations.

www.productdose.com - Modern knick knacks and pieces of interest. You'll find some cool accessories, housewares and even the occasional t-shirt on here.

www.mocoloco.com - Design blog with modern furniture and accessories. More form than function, but still interesting.

www.materialicious.com - A lot of great modern residential architecture from all over the world.

ikeahacker.blogspot.com/ (added 3-22-09) - The beauty of Ikea furniture is that you can hack it up and not feel like you're destroying something that's worth much. Contributors to this site find inventive ways to repurpose Ikea goods to create unique designs of their own. You'd be amazed what one can do with a saw and some vinyl.

I'll update this upon request or as I find more and as of 3/09 I'll note the date each link is added to save you guys some time :)

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  2. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

3. cedric

4. Nhubie

Nhubie OT Supporter

5. cedric

6. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

7. cedric

8. Nhubie

Nhubie OT Supporter

Those glass panel condos look good from outside but I would be paranoid living in one. Can't be chilling in my boxers if I lived on the first or second floor.

9. ihaveanevilplan

ihaveanevilplan Everybody wake up, wake up, it's time to get down Moderator

we should make a "resources" sticky

10. cedric

I'm sure once a mod takes charge this and Jacy's thread will get stickied :)

11. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

12. waffler

waffler Errrbuddy in this bitch get tipsy

13. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

14. cedric

I'm sorta reluctant to post links like that one, because essentially what retailers like that one do is bastardize established designers' pieces and sell them at ridiculously inflated prices. It's just bad design and bad business IMO :sad2:

15. cedric

could you guys come up with descriptions too? You're probably more familiar with the links you're posting than I am, so it'd save me some time :hs:

16. Juan MacLean

Juan MacLean New Member

17. Pursewarden

Pursewarden Never trust a tall dwarf, he is lying about someth

18. Pursewarden

Pursewarden Never trust a tall dwarf, he is lying about someth

19. pokpok

pokpok New Member

20. Jack Brown

Jack Brown OT Supporter

21. cedric

I just got their catalog in the mail yesterday. Almost everything they sell is a knockoff :rofl:

Anyone need a $119 Panton Chair, $459 Egg chair or $519 Barcelona Chair? :cool:

22. yer mom

yer mom Pelvic THRUST

Scandanavian designs doesn't ship, huh? :mad:

23. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

barcelona chair, they call it the 'ibiza" chair :rofl: :naughty:

24. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

my budget's about $13.79

in for Mexico City chair :x:

25. 9volt

9volt If you see me running, try to keep up