Home Computing and Apple...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Noah, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Noah

Noah The things we know best are the things we haven't OT Supporter

I havec started to use Apple products now. My first purchase has been a MacBook Air and I greatly enjoy it. Until recently I had considered that to use a Computer at home required a desktop, Monitor, keyboard and mouse. Apple has changed that thinking some, but I lack the technical knowledge to figure out what I would like.

If I took a Airport Extreme with a 1TB Hard Drive than that provides me access to all the data stored there, yes? Wirelessly. Photos, music, store e-mails?

So if I wanted to connect my, say iPad, to a 42" LCD and wirelessly access the data sans the desktop, is that possible?? Can I setup a home network to rid myself of the Desktop and switch to something as simple as a Air or iPad??

Like I said I am out of my element in working with Apple's line-up and am seeking some input.

Thanks y'all!

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

as far as I know the pad won't sync to or stream from the harddrive, so you have to plug it into the air to load it with content, or buy it from the store on the pad. the airport gets you on the net without wires, the hard drive is unnecessary unless you need more storage for your air at home or need to back it up.

3. Figori

Figori Taking BRC to the EXTREME. OT Supporter

Frankly speaking, if you hook the HDD to the Air Port Extreme, you should be able to access anything from the HDD through your network (not sure how the iPad supports this, as you cannot do it from the iPhone without JB). That would take away the need of the Desktop. That is, if it will work. Only time and Weasel can really tell us. ;)

4. Tvan

Tvan New Member

Sounds like you are in need of an NAS device of some kind. However you will need a computer of some sort to sync with the iPad if you intent to purchase one.