Home Audio System of choice

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by happyrobots, Oct 16, 2005.

1. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

I want to pic up a home audio system; 5 speaker, sub, and receiver. I am going to best buy because I've got $200 in GC there, so which is there best system?
    I want to stay around 500 if possible, but I want something good. I also prefer tall speakers, not the 6in ones. They tend to look better, but I am pretty sure it size has nothing to do with quality.

So which set should I grab?

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

3. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

For $500 you can't get anything that great. A HTIB is your best bet. I saw Best Buy had a Denon setup which came with a pretty decent a/v receiver, plus a 6.1 setup with a powered sub. I think it was around $650...pretty decent setup by HTIB standards.

Edit. Found the link. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat40200050002&id=1122654578991

A little more than what you wanted to spend but will provide better sound than that yamaha since the yamaha uses a passive sub.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

its also 200 dollars over his budget :dunno:

5. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

Alright alright, thanks for the help thusfar. How about this...
    Best near $5/600.
    Best cheap stand-up speakers. It's what I prefer, but still have good sound. If one is $400 and is decent, it might do. I'm just not a HUGE sound freak, so won't matter too much I think. So I want something good, but doesn't have to be awesome.

6. Soulfire

Soulfire No Pain, No Gain

I would like a car that does 0 to 60 in 2.5 seconds. Oh and my budget is 2 grand. :rolleyes:

:)

Sorry. With the money you are working with your are GOING to make a sacrifice. Floorstanding cant really be an option if you want it to sound like speakers. I would suggest what Ronin did. It works :-/ In the world of "decent" home theater a half decent pair of floorstanders is $300 :x: at the least. Then you add a center, rears, sub, reciver, dvd. :ugh2:

7. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

get a $200 yamaha receiver from best buy, then get the rest of your stuff elsewhere. You can get the Polk Audio R30 floor speakers from www.outpost.com for $50 per speaker from time to time, they also have the matching R15 bookshelf speakers for $40-$50, check back every few days, because they go on sale often and www.jr.com has the Advent 12" 100 watt powered sub for $80, then just get a polk CSi25 center on ebay for $100. That would put you betweek $550-$600 by the time you add shipping for everything, and it would be much bettern than a home theater in a box.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005