Home Audio Sub Question..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tim122576, Apr 2, 2007.

1. tim122576

tim122576 Active Member

Hello Everyone,

I have a quick question regarding my home audio Sub. My receiver allows me to select the size of my front, center and rear speakers, either small or large. When I am watching TV and want to listen in surrond I have to select the front speakers to "small" in order for my sub to work, but when I do so the sub puts out a constant base sound, almost like a constant rumble, if I select the front speakers to "large" then the sub doesn't even get a signal. It does the same thing while playing the Xbox 360, however while using the DVD player for a movie I can properly select the fronts to "large" and the sub works correctly. I have had this problem for some time but its a lot more noticeable now that I have a bigger sub. I have used 3 different subs as well have had 2 different TV's. I am thinking there is a problem with my receiver, would you agree?

2. Create

Create :free at last:

I'd check for a short or phase cross in the input to the subwoofer amplifier first (cable change, then receiver output terminal change). Next, I'd grab the manual for your receiver and see what the 'small' and 'large' speaker settings are suppossed to do, then report back here.

Note: Try shorting the sub amp inputs for an example of shorted bass.

3. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

On most revievers and processors,

Large = LFE gets sent to sent to that channel full range

Small = LFE below a specified frequency gets sent to the sub instead of the specified channel.

What reciever do you have? Most allow you to set /change the crossover point to match the abilities of your speakers often in increments of about 20hz. It almost sounds to me like crossover point on your reciever is set way too high.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i set mine all the way down to 40hz and it pizowns

5. tim122576

tim122576 Active Member

I have a Pioneer reciever not sure what the model number is, its at least 5 years old. The recieve does allow me to set/change the crossover point but it only has 3 options 100, 150 and 200, its currently at 100.

6. Create

Create :free at last:

Been following this one.

Put the setting at 200, size to small. Should work.

If not, check for that cross.

7. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

crossover at 200 is waaaaaaaayyy to high IMO. 100hz+ is fine for small sats, anything higher is HTIB territory. Does the sub have a gain adjustment? if so what is it set at? Also if you can adjust the channel level in the reciever, what is the sub level set at?

8. tim122576

tim122576 Active Member