Home Audio People: Your opinions please! (Copied from OT)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Scoob_13, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

I'm trying to have the wire for speakers run by the contractors while my house is apart, and I'm trying to figure out the speaker setup at the same time.

Here's my floorplan:

[​IMG]

And some photo's so that you can get a better idea of the space and constraints:

[​IMG]

Above you can see the back door with the wall where one of the surround sound speakers will go (in theory)

[​IMG]

Above is a better shot of the wall structure

[​IMG]

Above is a shot of the doorway to the bedroom hall, you can see where the Bose speaker is :o

That back area with the drapes that cover the closets will be one long bookcase, with bookcases that swing out for the openings to the closets (on hidden hinges, and to open them a book will pull so that they can be pulled open :) )

[​IMG]

Above is the corner where the sub will go (once I figure out which one to get) and where the TV goes. That wood paneled wall is also where the stereo rack will sit

[​IMG]

Another shot of the corner with the fireplace

[​IMG]

Great shot of the corner area for the tv

2. Pioneer

Pioneer Are you annoyed? You will be.

3. Scoob_13

Update for anyone that cares:

I purchased the speakers (Klipsch RF3 series front's, surrounds, and center) after listening to them at a Tweeter's, where they just happened to price match the place based out of Jersey. Sure, I paid tax, but at least I can take them back if I can't mount 'em :p

The rear's mount oddly (well, to me they do) so I'm going to have to build brackets and platforms for them to sit on.

As for the front's and center, now I'm just contemplating the wiring...I was looking at Monster M series Biwire for the wiring, but for some reason I can't justify $100 for 10 feet of cable + $12 for the banana plug adapters for them.

Is it really worth the extra money to bypass the crossover inside the speaker and use the high and low pass option?

4. Pioneer

:cool:

:dunno: on the Biwire --- High-Low pass option as I don't have it

However, I did spend $150 for 1/2 meter ---- twice

:o --- :o :o

CD changer - $150 - 2nd CD changer - $150 - Receiver

5. Pioneer

BTW, as per the thought of concealing the system behind/in the bookshelf (other thread), you'd probably have to put it in the closet

6. Scoob_13

Yeah, and heating/cooling plus getting the electricity back in the closet isn't something that'll happen.

I'm just going to build the rack that I want and set it up how I want it in the living room. I'll probably end up going for the biwire option if i can research it a bit and figure out if it's a good deal, but that won't happen until next week some time :(

7. Scoob_13

I have a Sony STR-DE975 that, as soon as all of this is done, will be connected to a set of Klipsch RF3II's in front, a Klipsch RC3II center, and a pair of Klipsch RS3II surrounds. The fronts and center have posts for high and low pass so that it bypasses the internal crossover IF you have biwire, and the guys at Tweeter's were showing me that theirs are biwired, and I wondered if it made that much of a difference.

From what I was reading this afternoon, apparently the biwire allows for deeper and clearer lows and better mids as well, which, considering I watch mostly movies. I'll probably go with the biwire, unless I can find a reason not to, other than cost :o

8. nt

nt Guest

bullshit.

9. Scoob_13

Well, I believe that the tweeters located in the fronts and center that will be biwired would be doing the higher frequencies :dunno:

I'm still pondering it since it's only around a $70 difference between the cables I've been looking at (Monster M Series 1.4 Biwires - 15ft is their type I believe).

10. Scoob_13

The speakers are supposed to automatically do this, as far as I know.