Home Audio Crew: Anyone know what could be wrong with these speakers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by steve3p0, Jan 28, 2006.

1. steve3p0

steve3p0 New Member

I got a free set of speakers and subwoofer last weekend(hahaha now i know why). Every few minutes, a loud "crackling" noise comes out of the speakers for about a half of a second.

The speakers are "Boston Digital BA7500G", and this is how they are set up on my desk:

[​IMG]

The subwoofer is actually on the floor right now.

could it be a bad cable, or something else that would be easily remedied? or should I just junk these things?

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Sounds like a loose connection and the crackling is caused by the circuit being rapidly open and closed. I doubt it's an easy remedy, especially by the looks of those speakers which probably don't come apart easily. Be careful you aren't kicking any cables of course, and that none of the cables are stretched. I'm also going on the assumption that you have hooked up either headphones or other speakers to the same computer before with no problems.

3. steve3p0

steve3p0 New Member

hmm...the cables have been kinda stretched to reach the sub on the floor... I'll try moving then closer together. I have a set of black speakers that connect to a stereo on the floor, which also hook into my soundcard, and they sound fine.

thanks for your advice ill let you know how it works out

4. steve3p0

steve3p0 New Member

I moved the speakers to a more comfortable position, so the cables arent as stretched. I'm not sure if it helped much, but I did figure something out:

whenever I turn the lights in my room on/off, my speakers get static for about half of second.

It is very strange.

5. Durka Durka

Durka Durka Guest

how can you hear those speakers when they're way up there and aimed at the celing? crackling could be anything. could be a dirty connection or the speakers could be blown.