Holy Shit!!! The new Windows activation thing is fucking gay!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sfam198, Mar 16, 2005.

1. sfam198

sfam198 John Petrucci Is God

All I did was upgrade the firmware on my dvd burner, restart, and I get a message saying I need to call M$ customer service for a new product key.

I'm on the phone for 20 minutes with the stupid fucking computer thing, saying one number at a time, just for it to come back and say it can't activate me. Then it sends me to this fucking Pakistani gay named "Steve" (that's a load of bullshit) who I can't understand worth a fuck.

I hope this doesn't last. For as many times as I've had to reactivate Windows in the past, I can't take that shit again.

2. monolith

monolith My soul grows ever weary and the end is ever near. OT Supporter

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yep, the phone system is the worst part. You have to fucking read the fucking number to it, which takes forever and makes you feel like a total idiot, and then it takes for fucking ever to read it back to you, THEN it doesn't work. I hate it.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah its shit like this that pushes normally honest people to say "fuck it" and bootleg it.

5. kl

kl New Member

why not do the internet activation, or am I missing something here.

6. Gaylord Focker

Gaylord Focker 8=oOOo=D ~ ~ ~

that only works the first couple of times. if you reformat frequently you need to call in to activate

7. www.techdo.com

www.techdo.com New Member

every 180 days you can activate by Internet again without problems

8. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

When it asks you to say the numbers you can use your touch-tone for it instead. :mamoru:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  9. Penguin Man

Yeah, I figured that out about the fifth time I called :embd:

10. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I installed a new NIC card, wanted me to activate (gay). I called the # and got the machine just like you. I gave it my 25-pin # and it gave me back a series of #'s. worked fine for me and activated immeditaely. i was very pleased, it took less than 5 mins.

my dad did the same thing, and he also got a pakastani woman he couldn't understand too well. but she solved his problem over about 20 minutes.

i say it could be alot better, but outsourcing always causes cultural barriers with accents and stuff. but hey it worked at least, can't complain.

11. Forbidden

Forbidden Guest

Where I use to work, we reformated a computer and we had to call to activate it and the guy said he couldn't activate it because it had already been activated so we called back and talked to another guy who activated it. Makes you wonder what's the use of that activation system.

12. Penguin Man

If I'm not mistaken, once it's re-activated on a different system, the system on which it was originally activated can no longer get Windows Update and stuff. Basically, you can only have it activated on one machine at a time, but you can re-activate it if you decide to use it on a different machine, or if you change hardware.

13. Jake!

Jake! Guest

:werd: I have a DVD with 11 versions of XP, with Office Xp and other shit slipstreamed.

14. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

2000 Pro. 'Nuff said.

I <3 this OS.

15. Penguin Man

By the way, for everyone complaining about MS and activation in this thread, you do have alternatives. There are OSes other than Windows that are just as usable and are completely free and open-source. Linux and FreeBSD are both popular alternatives. If you really think that activation is so bad, then stop using Windows. The more people who abandon Windows and stop paying for it, the more likely Microsoft will be to realize how bad an idea activation really is.

ibflames

16. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

American dudes name is akbar, Paki dude is named steve, fair exchange.

17. Forbidden

Forbidden Guest

My computers all run Fedora, except for this laptop which I was force to lease from the university which has XP, so I don't have to deal with activation anymore, but try telling my ex-boss, who's a M$ worshipper, to install Linux...

18. TV-MA

TV-MA Guest

19. sfam198

Just installed Fedora Core 3 on this machine (same on I had to reactivate a cople days ago). You tell me how to get my wireless card working (Netgear WG121 or Netgear WG311 v2) and I will have absolutely no problem switching. Actually, I'd rather be using Linux, but the network card is preventing me from having a fully functional machine with no network connection under Linux.

20. Penguin Man

Both of those cards are supported by ndiswrapper (http://ndiswrapper.sf.net). It lets you use the windows drivers under Linux, and I've found it works quite well (I use it for my Linksys wireless card in this machine) :)

21. sfam198

Hmmmmm, I'll have to look into that. Is it something that's easy to set up or is it going to take me 4 hours at a bash prompt to set up?

22. TV-MA

TV-MA Guest

check out "madwifi" this ahs been pretty successful

http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi/

FAQ on it

supported hardware

hope this helps..

23. sfam198

Yea I've seen that before. Problem is my card is the WG311 v2. They changed it from and Atheros chipset to a Texas Instruments chipset in this version.

I'm looking into ndiswrapper now. Hopefully I can get that working and my next post will be from Linux :x:

24. damaja

damaja New Member

MSDN Subscription OWNZ!!!!

25. Penguin Man

It's pretty simple. There may be binaries of it somewhere for FC3, or you can always compile it by hand (it's a quick compile and doesn't require anything out of the ordinary). Then you just load the .inf files from the Windows version of the driver into it (ndiswrapper -i whatever.inf), and setup your wireless card with "ndiswrapper" as the driver. There are good instructions on their site, they have a Wiki with lots of good information.