Holy Shit.. I just installed VMware Fusion

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by robz, Jul 28, 2008.

1. robz

robz OT Supporter

I needed to use Autocad for work and so I installed fusion to get xp. This shit is nuts! Why don't all windows users just get a mac and do this?
    :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

yeah, i used that before when i had a MBP for work. strangely enough, i never found a use for the OSX part. i found that i did 95% of my computing in VMWare and only used the OSX side when i had the XP side connected to my work VPN and the OSX side was still on the regular internet. plus, my company had no means for monitoring the OSX side. so, as far as they knew i only had an XP PC and i could do whatever i wanted with the other side.

3. The Bilingual Gringo

The Bilingual Gringo KMD, 3rd Bass, just ace in the hole

:werd:

I was in the same boat but had some basic connectivity issues. Once those got worked out, the VM's great to have.

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

to the OP, you should try downloading some of the pre-configured virtual hosts that vmware has on their site. you can get and play with various free Linux distros that are already built for VMWare. you can even try OpenSolaris or some pre-configured web servers and such.

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/

another great side effect of VMWare virtualization is that "system" backups become a piece of cake. just shutdown the VM and copy the system image to another location. now, if you lose any of your data or if your XP install goes belly up, you have an exact replica that is completely hardware independent (well, up to the x86 platform at least).

5. robz

robz OT Supporter

thats what i love. My biggest worry about doing this in the past was that i would have to repartition my drive and thought i wouldnt be able to go back incase i didnt like it or had any issues. this is so easy, just delete the file, no big deal