Holy crap. F-Bodies got expensive...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Buick Muscle, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

I did a little research on them today. I have been considering building a road racer when I get back to terra firma, and I looked up the V6 F-body variants as an option, mostly due to familiarity and bang for the buck factor. I know a year ago I could have scored a high mileage 98-2000 era 6 banger for about -3-5 grand. Even with low mileage, the Blue book price on a low mileage 2k2 model was around 10 grand.

Well, damn.

I checked up on the prices now, and that shit has just skyrocketed. What they are asking for a V6 now you could have gotten a v8 variant of that year model a year and a half ago. They are asking 10 grand for a 97 model with 50K miles on it.

The numbers don't lie.

http://www.carmax.com/dyn/searcheng...riceLabel=Any Price&HasCookie=True&pageType=1

Here are a few example...

99 Chevy Camaro z28 43K miles, asking 17,900 for it.

2001 Pontiac Trans Am, 60k miles, asking 20,000 for it.

A year ago i picked up my 2001 SS with 20K miles for 21,500.

I didn't expect it to skyrocket that much. Looks like Im going to have to look for a cheaper alternative to turn into a road racer. Either that or get a nice flood victim.

2. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

F-Bodies have skyrocketed.

I did a little research on them today. I have been considering building a road racer when I get back to terra firma, and I looked up the V6 F-body variants as an option, mostly due to familiarity and bang for the buck factor. I know a year ago I could have scored a high mileage 98-2000 era 6 banger for about -3-5 grand. Even with low mileage, the Blue book price on a low mileage 2k2 model was around 10 grand.

Well, damn.

I checked up on the prices now, and that shit has just skyrocketed. What they are asking for a V6 now you could have gotten a v8 variant of that year model a year and a half ago. They are asking 10 grand for a 97 model with 50K miles on it.

The numbers don't lie.

http://www.carmax.com/dyn/searcheng...riceLabel=Any Price&HasCookie=True&pageType=1

Here are a few example...

99 Chevy Camaro z28 43K miles, asking 17,900 for it.

2001 Pontiac Trans Am, 60k miles, asking 20,000 for it.

A year ago this day I picked up my 2001 SS with 20K miles for 21,500.

I didn't expect it to skyrocket that much. Looks like Im going to have to look for a cheaper alternative to turn into a road racer. Either that or get a nice flood victim.

3. Jerm

Jerm I

I'll sell you mine for 9K :hs:

4. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

hey, maybe my fortune has changed?

anyone want a 1994 formula?

5. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

search e-bay, not carmax...when i was helping my dad find a car we went to carmax and all of their prices are inflated to 5-7k over what other lots had the same cars for. car max != good deals

6. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

Carmax is a fucking ripoff. Anybody who buys a car from them is asking to be reamed in the ass, and have thier money stolen. If you want to find a good used F-body, look anywere but Carmax. A couple of places though may be Platinum Auto Body in Erie PA, and also try speed-automotive.com

7. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

v6 F body :ugh2:

8. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Sensational Moderator Super Moderator

how much are 30th anniversary Trans Am's going for? :o

9. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

Get an 93 V6 F-Body and do a BBC or SB2 transplant. :)

10. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

I dunno about that. My family has bought 3 cars so far from CarMax and I consider them all good deals. When I got my Camaro from CarMax, it was the cheapest one that I found. Previosuly, I was at a dodge dealership where they had the exact same model I was looking for, but for a 25K asking price. Considering the KBB of the vehicle at the time was 23,500, it wasn't too far off the mark. However, a week later I found the indenticle vehicle for 21K at CarMax. Good deal if you ask me, considering the other dealerships were inflating the hell out of the prices.

11. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

The reason I want a V6... well, the reason I was looking for a V6 is because I remember them being cheap as hell. I didn't want to hassle with the V8, and I needed a core car where I could start stripping the interior and basically start doing stuff to it without feeling bad. I can't bring myself to start chopping into the SS like I could a V6.

12. Jerm

Jerm I

Get a 98+, get a taller front end :hs:

13. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

+ Nitrous

14. Dr. Zoidberg

Dr. Zoidberg the lovable tramp

V6 + turbo + nitrous? :hs:

15. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

It was to be expected... Kruse International (big collector car auction organization) listed the entire line of F-Bodies in their top 10 most collectible auto's list.

16. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

I was expecting something like this happening. Thats why I was stressing a little when I was trying to find a Camaro before they quit making them. As is, the dealerships were already starting to jack up the price on them.

However, the big kicker that made me think that the F-Bodies would go up in value was the fact that nobody was buying them when they were still being produced. If you look at the trend of vehicles that have become valuable, it was usually the cars that sat for months on car lots or couldn't have been given away for free. (I.E. 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner) usually shammed because of their (unpracticality)

Don't get me wrong. Im not going to put my car into cold storage or anything, and I never bought the car as an investment. But it is nice to see that it is going up in value.

17. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

18. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

:eek3:

September 2003 and already have 7K posts?

19. SpeedSin

SpeedSin Guest

V6 + TT = nice...

20. Szymek

Szymek Where's the rest of ya?!

ran a 14.9 with my old 2000 stock V6 auto fbody :hs:

Wonder how much I could get for my WS6 now :x: :naughty:

21. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

It's kinda silly that they're goin up in value. They were cheap as poo when they were being produced, the resale sucked hard, and no body wanted them. Now all of a sudden people use the excuse of them not being produced anymore to jack up the price? :greddy:

22. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

Hey guys, back in the real world Im not going to get a cheap V6 F-Body just to turn around and throw a 5K Twin Turbo kit on it :rolleyes:

23. Szymek

Trade in is only 20,550 looks like prices are dropping just as they were

02 WS6 with 30k

24. Szymek

I only got 11k for my 2000 with around 26k miles 2 years ago

25. TireSmokinSRT

TireSmokinSRT Bring in the stunt cock

that is retarded...

i just bought my 02 SS w/13,600 miles on it for $19.5k