Holy christ v.RADIUS

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jan 15, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm trying to set up RADIUS authentication with our company domain on my office's wireless network. I've got IAS installed on the domain controller, and the wireless access point is registered as a client of the IAS service. I can see from the IAS logs that my attempts to authenticate with my domain account are getting passed-through by the wireless access point, but for some reason it never authenticates. It's like it isn't getting a response. It just sits there waiting until the operation times out.

There's no firewall on the domain controller, so I don't need to worry about opening ports. The router isn't blocking traffic on the RADIUS ports either, because then the authentication requests wouldn't be reaching the domain controller in the first place. All of the user accounts are set to allow dial-up connections, which is apparently required for IAS to approve authentication requests, but it's still damn well not doing it.

Anybody have any ideas what I might be missing?

2. dave5678

dave5678 New Member

I have never setup RADIUS but have you tried a different firmware for the router? Maybe a custom firmware like DD-WRT for more options?

3. r00tman

r00tman Archiver of LOLs

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yeah, that's one of many many articles I've read so far.

I'm using a Netgear ProSafe wireless access point; DD-WRT wouldn't run on it, and it's got a shit-ton of options already. It can even automatically choose the channel with the least interference and adjust its broadcast strength to be just strong enough to reach the most distant wireless client. Very nice piece of hardware.

This isn't the first time I've tried to set up RADIUS; I also tried to use it to provide authentication for a VPN server a few months ago, and I ran into the same exact goddamned problem; the RADIUS server receives authentication requests, processes them, logs them, and then never responds. I can't bloody well figure it out.