GUN Hollow points and interchangable calibers.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pwen, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Pwen

Pwen Guest

Are hollow points illegal? I heard that in NY for every hollow point you have in a gun you get one felony. A 357 loaded with hollows would be 6 felonies, because they are considered "cop killers".

I also heard you can put 357 rounds into a 38. special. I've heard you can do the same with a 9, but can't remember what caliber. This seems like a bad idea that would cause the metal in the gun to change and melt, if not backfire altogether.

2. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Hollowpoints are not illegal, not Federally anyway. If you're talking NYC, then that might make sense. But not upstate.

Maybe if you commit a crime with an illegal gun, then for every hollowpoint in the gun is a felony... but even that sounds ridiculous.

3. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

NY: A pussy from our nation's conception.

4. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

fixed

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

where did you hear this from?

6. ANUS_MANGLER

ANUS_MANGLER New Member

7. Pwen

Pwen Guest

I've heard that from two different people, both vets. They said that it could be done, not that it should be done. I don't know either way but I'm curious.

The hollow point thing I heard from people in jail who got raped for having hollow points. I think the gun was illegal and that would have something to do with it but I can't see the logic of only punishing people for hollow points who have an illegal gun and not punishing people for hollows who have a registered legal gun.

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

1. slap the vets.
    2. why do you believe criminals?

9. Slick26

You don't see the point in not punishing law abiding citizens with legally owned guns? Get the fuck out of here. You can't possibly be that stupid.
    Yeah, let's punish people not breaking the law. Seriously. Leave. Jesus Christ.

10. Pwen

Pwen Guest

It would be a double standard, but you don't get that.

I'll explain:

Say I'm a cop and I come across a guy with a stolen revolver loaded with hollow points, he gets 7 felonies.

I'm the same cop and I come across a guy with a legal revolver loaded with hollow points and I...let him go?

If hollow points are illegal in a stolen gun why would they be legal in a legal gun? I guess I'll tell the cop I'm a law abiding citizen and all will be well.

11. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

dear God.

if you're a cop and come across a suspect with a gun (illegally) and it's loaded, then you hit him up for felon in possession of firearm (as may be appropriate), of ammunition, and you add the enhancements or extra charges for the firearm being loaded, and possibly concealed, along with the presumed "intent of malfeasance" charge if your state/locality has one for such circumstances. Oh, and stolen firearm charges, etc, as may be appropriate, also

It's a bit of a stretch usually to charge someone for individual rounds of ammunition...though maybe with a revolver, and a really crazy DA, you could give it a whirl.

Though, this is just what I'd do if I were in those shoes. YMMV etc.

12. Slick26

They're not illegal you dolt.

13. Jhegro

Jhegro wtf is a jhegro?

a) do u even know what a felony is
    b) a criminal possessing an illegal firearm is, well, illegal and has criminal consequences. a criminal possessing ammunition in an illegal firearm is illegal because hes not allowed to possess either of them. In some jurisdictions, simply possessing ammunition is illegal. therefore ALL ammunition would be illegal there. full metal jacketed AND hollow points.
    c) do u even know what a hollow point is? and what purpose it serves? or even a FMJ round?
    d) are u older than 12?

14. Pwen

Pwen Guest

A felony is a criminal charge more severe than a misdemeanor such as robbery, burglary or murder. There are classes of felony charges such as an A,B,C, or D.

I guess it depends on the jurisdiction.

A hollow point is a round where the bullet is hollowed out, like a bowl. I'm pretty sure the purpose of a hollow point is to expand on impact and cause more damage.

I have no idea what an FMJ is.

No, just turned.

15. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I....you....

God fucking damn. First off, whoever you've been talking to about guns, stop, since they obviously don't know jack shit.

Second: Get off the goddamn computer and go to an outdoor camp or something. You're 12, you shouldn't be at a computer all fucking day (or at all, come to think of it).

Third: If you actually want to learn how to shoot, find someone in your family who actually knows what they are doing and get them to teach you. If there isn't anyone like that, you're SOL untill you hit 18.

Jesus fuck, 12 year olds on OT, wtf is the world coming to...

16. Slick26

I don't think he's really 12, I think he was being sarcastic.

17. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

God I hope so, but he's doing a damn good job of acting like one.

18. Slick26

No shit.

19. Pwen

Pwen Guest

Wow guys, I'm 25 and I'm not trolling.

I wanted to know if you could fire a 357's from a 38 special in an emergency situation. CAN IT BE DONE? I don't know shit about guns so I figured I'd ask.

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I rate this thread a 7/10 on the comedy scale.

21. Slick26

Unacceptable. We need to liven this thread up a bit then. Let's talk about hollowpoints being a felony...

Oh wait.

22. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Hollow points are not illegal as far as I know. It is possible that if you use them in a crime, then they might have something on the books that allows them to throw more charges at you (although this makes no sense). It might be like bullet proof vests. It is legal to own and wear a bullet proof vest, but is an additional charge if you wear one during the commission of a felony.

As for 38 special/357. You have it back asswards. You can shoot 38 special out of most guns designed for a 357. The opposite is definitely not true as guns designed for 38 special will not handle the much hotter 357 round.

23. Mac Man

Mac Man New Member

I shoot .45ACP out of my 9mm all the time....:dunno:

and 7.62mm out of my 5.56mm

24. sprite

sprite Active Member

No. You can fire a .38 from a .357 but not vice-versa. You could not even chamber a .357 cartridge in a .38 cylinder as it is too long.

25. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

What in the blue fuck is wrong with you people? Someone comes in here and asks a question and most of you guys act like a bunch of shit throwing howler monkeys instead of just answering the relatively straightforward questions he has and offering some clarification to his misconceptions.

:ugh2: