Hole in Jetski Crankcase.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by DeeRock, Sep 9, 2006.

1. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

My folks borrowed a jet-ski to go to Banks Lake. Its a '02 Honda ARX1200T3 with only 52 hours on it. Apparently a hole blew in the crankcase, and now Everett Powersports in Seattle says that it's $4k for a new motor.

A) They only used it for about three hours, and then it shut down. What could have possibly caused this to happen. Obviously there was something leading up that caused this. Any ideas.

B)Does this seem like a legit price for a new motor?

Obviously my folks are going to pay for it since it broke on their watch, but does this even sound normal at all?

Thanks,
    Derek

2. noxxs

noxxs New Member

either they were running with no oil or there was some shit in the oil. to blow a hole in the block, usually something heavy that moves fast breaks and flys out through the block.

3. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

My dad said that he sucked up some milfoil into the intake, and as he rode it back to shore, it would barely run. Once he pulled it all out, it was fine again.

Any chance that this instance created the issue at hand?

4. noxxs

noxxs New Member

i have no idea what milfoil is, but something other than air going into the intake really isnt very good.

5. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

Milfoil is kinda like lake seaweed. Imagine ivy in a lake, mixed with some grassy crap.

And jetskis don't suck in air do they? I thought they sucked in water.

6. machine81

machine81 New Member

Engines need air. Unless that jet ski is nuclear powered it's bringing in air.

What you're thinking of if water for cooling. Most jet skis suck water in and run it around the engine jacket to keep it cool. Similar to what your radiator does in your car.

There's gotta be some type of filter on the intake though. Unless that was removed there really isn't any way for a whole chunk of seaweed to get into the engine.