hmmmm decison....

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by takumi6, Jan 30, 2005.

1. takumi6

takumi6 New Member

I am probably going to be purchasing a used s2000 or 350z.... I know the specs on them are similar.. quarter mile times.. handling... both great cars. I might just even purschase the new acura rsx type-s. I need peoples inputs/experiences as this is going to be a big investment for me.. thanks...

2. ices

ices New Member

personally, i would choose the 350z. more torquey, which means much more room for error, esp in the 1/4 mile. the s2000 is a great car, good output for the displacement. however, i've driven the s2000 before and it feels too much like a go kart. there isn't much usable power unless you rev high. i've driven the G35 also (similar enough to the 350z) and i love the usable torque at low RPMs. it also doesn't seem as fragile as the s2000.

3. Philistine

Philistine New Member

go wit teh tree fitty

4. elekt

elekt New Member

based on your screenname, i'm assuming you like drifting or grip style driving more than 1/4 mile. In that case the s2000 is a much more "tossable" car, i'd get one if they came charged or if i had the cash to do so.

5. RammsteinGT

RammsteinGT New Member

Personally, I'd look for a G35. Then it would be a very tough choice between the S200 and the G35...both amazing cars for their category. You just have to get your priorities in order, and choose what kind of car you truly want.

6. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

:werd: it would be a hard decision between the two.

7. rexster

rexster Guest

since specs is probably your main issue, get an awd --> sti or evo

but if you prefer 2 door, get the 350. s2000=no torque, same goes for type s. they are great handling cars, just no neck banging enjoyment at all

8. cleethree

cleethree hangin' around...

i think you should get a SRT-4...

9. ices

ices New Member

acknowledging the fact that this is a "big investment", i doubt you would want to actually drift your brand new car/spend big money on new tires. the 350z still has so much more usable torque. there was a test done (i read about it somewhere on these forums) where the s2k was shifted right before vtec, and the 0-60 time was somewhere around 11 seconds. i don't know about you, but i wouldn't want to have to shift in vtec to get near "s2000 performance"

10. ices

ices New Member

in my opinion, the srt-4 is another league. although fast, it's not as refined as the s2k or 350z. it's more for people that just want to go fast. it offers speed, but not much else. also, once you mention the srt-4, you automatically offer the wrx and evo, and, well, you know how THOSE arguments go...:noes:

11. cleethree

cleethree hangin' around...

well he's worried about 1/4 mile times and then handling... the SRT-4 would be perfect imho...

personally im worried about the handling, and then the 1/4 mile... thats why i drive a boosted mk3 mr2... mid engine rwd + 2200 lbs + turbo = win!

12. ices

ices New Member

rwd>fwd in terms of handling (except for bad weather). how about the thread starter actually responds to all the people trying to help? what exactly do you want in a car? what kind of weather do you get where you live? do you car about track (1/4 and autox) times?

13. Kpac0

Kpac0 Guest

if you are going to be putting down that much $$, why not just go ahead and get an Evo or STi ?

14. takumi6

takumi6 New Member

thanks everyone for the input... i been busy with school.. but i visited couple dealerships.. it seems like the 350z is very much comfortable than the s2k.. The 350z has noticeable amount of torque and the s2k lacks torque but it seemslike the s2k is more of a raw sports car. This is going to be my daily driver.. and the bad part is that i live in chicago.. The weather has its bad days but it doesnt really matter as i will drive it no matter what the condtions are. I am not a drifter wannabe.. or quarter mile racer.. lol, i just wanted to know the specs on them.

i just want a fun, reliable car and more importantly fun car to cruise in that doesnt hurt my wallet too much. Its just hard decision for me... we will see in coming days though.. thanks everyone for their input.. :)

15. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

Sounds like an S2000 to me. :dunno:

16. ices

ices New Member

which part do i "gotta be kidding"?

[​IMG]

look at the dyno for a stock s2000, where the torque and HP curve meet (around 5200 rpm), which sounds more than reasonable for "before vtec shifting". at that point, there's roughly 120 HP/TQ.

now look at the 350z dyno.
    [​IMG]

at 5200 RPM, the torque and HP lines also cross, where there is slightly over 200 HP/TQ.

so, let's go over the facts.

S2000 @ 5200RPM=120 HP/TQ
    350Z @ 5200RPM=200 HP/TQ

looking at the dyno charts, you see that the s2000's peak hp/torque curves occur at 8400RPM.

SO, even though the s2000 and 350Z may have similar times, you need to shift nearly 3kRPMs higher on the s2000 to extract those similar times. i don't know about you, but i'd rather shift at 5200RPM.

another point worth mentioning... both cars have a relatively flat torque curve. however, note that the 350Z has a relatively large amount of torque as compared to the s2000 (200 vs 120). i haven't driven the 350z, but i've driven the g35 coupe, and i love how the g35 can pull me along just fine at 30MPH on 4th gear. torque high, shift low.

17. ices

ices New Member

one more thing, why would you need a "raw sports car" from a daily driver. a daily driver should be comfortable. if i were you, i would really consider the g35 coupe. the same engine as the 350z in a similar body, but in my opinion, i think the g35 looks better. also, the interior is nicer. white leather = pimp. the g35 also has a backseat, which is nice to have in a daily driver. you never know when you might need them.