Hmmm v.isthereadifference?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Carpet Liquor, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Carpet Liquor

Carpet Liquor New Member

Something I was just thinking about:

Is there always a difference between "hanging out" and "dating"?

I mean could you in theory being hanging out with someone, where you see it as hanging out and the other person sees it as dating?

What really is the difference?

Does proclamation of dating make the change, or is this an assumed thing?

For the definition of dating, I mean just that, no sex, no real intimacy, but being in close proximity and maybe in some what private settings, getting to know one another, going out to places, like restaurants, DQ, maybe just hanging out each other's place or some other nuetral place.

I guess my problem with this is the difference between society's look at "dating" and a more tradition look at dating. I' slightly more traditional, though in past relationships, they seem to progress rather quickly (into the intamacy and sex), than what would be accepted for "traditional dating".

I kinda ask this, because there is this woman (surprised, right? hehe), that I had the hots for a while ago, well still do in a way, anyway, we were at Horton's last night, everyone else had left, and it was just us. I was hungry, so I decided to ask her if she wanted to get out of there and do something (go to eat), she accepted. I really didn't think much of it at the time, but while I was sitting there eating, the conversation was like we were trying to get to know one another, like you would on a date, favorite movies, who was in the picture on the wall, the normal joking around, etc.
    She knows I have or at least had the hots for her, I was even joking around about that last night. It was just odd, we made lots of eye contact, and has been doing moreso lately.

So what really is the difference between dating and hanging out? Pre-planning? Proclamation of being a date? Something I'm forgetting?

I know a few friends have also found themselves at the otherend of this question as well.
    Being told they were dating a certain person, even though they had just thought of it as hanging out.

Discuss.

2. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

it's all about perception. both of you must see it the same way. otherwise if hanging out is the same as dating some guys will be pissed to find out that i'm "dating" their girlfriends :mamoru:

just flat out ask her "so what is this here, between you and I? are we just hanging out or are we dating?"

3. lauren

lauren Active Member

for me, the best relationships displayed very little difference between dating and hanging out. we usually started out as friends, hung out all the time, and then the physicallity (sex) developed. nothing outside of the bedroom changed. these were people id go out to dinner or dancing or 'date' type activities before ...but were never dates. as the relationship progressed, we would clarify some activities as dates...

the only confusion was in the week or so where the transformation occured. since in each case we were best friends, the desicsion had to be made on wether or not to be exclusiive (causual dating isnt much of an opt with a good friend)...

the confusion was cleared up with a simple "do you want to be my boyfriend" type question.

4. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

see i like those kinds of relationships. it's stable with lots of room for growth provided both of you work to make things happen. but girls usually want to be blown away or something. even if things end up being "normal" later on

5. lauren

lauren Active Member

yeah...thats why we always tried to have a formal date every few weeks...you know, get dressed up, fine dinner, dancing.... something different than just hanging out with the guys. plus, there are many ways to 'blow'a girl away...breakfast in the morning, piicking something up from the store that you know they like (double stuff oreos are my personal weakness), cooking dinner... stupid stuff like that (although those are more for 'domestic' relationships).

but yeah, tried to get both of you on the same page first...and then work from there.

6. Carpet Liquor

Carpet Liquor New Member

Interesting, so there is or can be very similar happenings between people who are dating, and people who are just hanging out. Pretty much what I thought.

As for the woman I was with the other night, I'm not going to ask her about being exclusive, or dating. Yeah I'd like to, and I think we would probably be great for one another, she just likes to play games, she's tried to get me to play those games, even after I've told her I don't like to and will not play those games anymore.

That's alight, I think there's another woman showing interest. ;)