hmmm 92 3000gt vr-4?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Petar, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Petar

Petar ô¿ô OT Supporter

i found a really nice one with about 113,000 miles for like 6 grand, should i get it? it looks like its in real good shape and the guy said its like perfect. any horror stories about one with so many miles? should i go for it? i currently drive a camry with 130,000 miles and i could get about 3000 for it.

2. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

Well the car is a awsome car, but that is quite a bit of miles. Look into a carfax to see it its been wrecked and try and get a close history of owners to make sure some pounk kid didn't rail the piss out of it.

But for 6k, it might be a good deal.

3. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

The VR4 and the Stealth R/T TT make great GT cars. A bit heavy and not great for 1/4 mile but they can be fun as hell on the highway.

4. Brujo

Brujo New Member

Theyre great cars, but the trannys suck... especially the TC...
    there was a recall recently, so look into that...

I own a 3000gt and post on 3si.org...

Check there for answers to your questions...

5. fliptout

fliptout New Member

actually im pretty sure they can be taken into the 12's for relatively cheap...

and yeah if you buy it, plan on some tranny work with that many miles on it.

6. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

113K isnt a lot. But these engines arent hondas. They are less reliable and probably were driven harder. You might have to swap the motor in 5k or 50k more miles.

7. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

Can be taken into 12s with very little mods. And not great for 1/4? They should be pretty much high 13s already.

8. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

Actually, they're kinda the opposite. They launch like a motha, but they don't breath the best in the higher rpm's.

They have tranny issues, and there's various issues that tend to go out on them. I've also heard from my bud who's built one before that they have too small of clutches, so they were never really made to handle any large amount of HP. But they can be made into a VERY fun car....

If you can get one that runs good, doesn't blow smoke, and doesn't leak any fluids for 6k, I would scoop that up in a heartbeat!!!

9. All I can say is don't touch those heaps of shit.. only advise I will give.

10. jjsteine

jjsteine Guest

correct me if i am wrong, but dont the pre 94's have a problem with the crankshaft brakeing in half???

11. BigBADGSX

BigBADGSX New Member

if i where you i would do a compression test, ask when the last time the timing belt was changed and ask about the regular mantinence. That is alot of miles it might be in need of a rebuild.

12. flicker

flicker New Member

Good cars....take the vin # and call your local dealership to see if the transfer case recall has been done already. Also check out
    www.3si.org
    www.dynamicracing.com

13. HighwayStarX

HighwayStarX Happy Sky

my old car '96 eclipse with 82000 miles on it kept breaking down. i got to the point of wanting to destroy it so i sold it and got a new car. i'd probably pass on it.