Hm. Video playback resolution.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Cthalupa, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

So, I'm in the planning stage of a fairly large project, and I'm going to be building an HTPC (Among other things. Going to use HyperV when it's released later this year to turn it into a multipurpose server), and I'll also be getting a 1080p project with an HQV processor for upscaling. Now, I've seen this same processor do pertty amazing things to DVDs (Side by side with 720p versions of the same video, the difference between the two pictures is nearly unnoticeable) in other displays.

But, since I'll be moving to an HTPC, and plan on keeping it in 1900x1080 resolution, I'm a bit concerned about playing my DVD collection from the machine. I know if I just fullscreen the video, it'll do the scaling itself, which I don't want.

Are there any video playback programs out there that will change the resolution while playing the video, like games do? I'd like for it to drop down into whatever resolution the video is native to, and have the HQV do all of the scaling.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If you want to go that hardcore with it, then I would recommend you use the HTPC only for such digital content that it is suited for.

If you want to use dedicated HQV upscaling, then you are best served by a proper pro-grade component DVD player. Yamaha, Sony, Denon, etc, all make them.

A quick browse of Denon's site shows one particular model that includes 1080p 10-bit scaling and integrated Realta T2 HQV (awesome).

3. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

The projector has a Reon VX. I'm also looking at a receiver that has the VX in it - from my understanding, the Reons and Realtas are pretty similar in their performance.

I want to get rid of all of my physical media, though, which is why I want the HTPC, rather than just a nice upscaling DVD player.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well you are certainly aware about the legalities that make that unfeasable.

IIRC, microsoft makes a media player activex control for .Net applications. Theoretically, it would not be terribly difficult to make a simple interface that would play DVD's and change system resolutions based on the resolution of the source file. Whether or not this is a good approach is up for argument.

Personally I'd rather just use MCE and call it a day.

5. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Is there really much legal debate about the choice of a consumer to take DVDs they own and rip them to a computer? I don't plan on streaming these across the network, or sharing them, or anything of that nature.

Would MCE be able to change the resolution? I was thinking I'd like to go with MythTV or similar, but if MCE would fit my needs, I've certainly got no problem with using it.

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

standalone dvd player will do a better job in my opinion.

i have this one connected through hdmi with the audio connected through toslink optical (because my tv can't pass dolby 5.1 or dts through hdmi due to copy protection restrictions - also i don't have hdmi switching on my amp)
    it makes dvds look amazing, the upscaling is really good and its cheap.
    http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP5982-1080p-Upscaling-Player/dp/B000N254LU/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

that denon suggested is amazingly nice. oppo makes great upscaling dvd players also

7. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Most of those standalone DVD players use the same chipset as my receiver/projector.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

whichi is a good reason to use a standalone dvd player.

9. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

I'm getting the receiver for a multitude of reasons. It's a good buy with or without the chipset, so I dunno why I would buy a standalone DVD player for something I can already do?

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

CAN you already do it? By posting this thread, it seems that there is doubt about that.

More importantly, even if you COULD, is it the best solution?

food for thought.

11. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

True, but you make it sound like MCE might do what I want, or it would be possible without too much effort.

Inconvenience in software setup > inconvenience of dealing with a 400 DVD collection

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have mce and I'm not aware of an option that will adjust on-the-fly based on the dvd. you can change res thru the mce interface, but it's not automatic based on the source res.

13. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Hm. Well, there is demand out there for the feature - I saw several threads asking about it on the VLC forums, so I'm sure something has to have it. When I get back from vacation, I'll have to check out powerdvd and such.

Thanks for all the info, though.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ironic that it was at the vlc forum. I find vlc to generally have absolutely shitty quality when it comes to video output. The picture is always craptastically grainy and pixelated.

personally, I also hate when things change my screen res. i run games at native res, for this reason.

15. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

you could try mediaportal instead of mce. it seems to be more customizable. although my tuner card is not supported, so i'm stuck with mce

also, they have plugins for mce, you may be able to find some type of resolution plugin for it

16. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

You got a model number for the Denon?

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

pretty much the ultimate unit:
    Dual, Discrete 14-bit, 216MHz Analog Devices Video DACs
    $3800
    http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3127.asp

but an excellent normal-man's dvd unit:
    Dual, Discrete 12-bit, 216MHz Analog Devices Video DACs
    HDMI 1.1 (HDCP) - With Scaling – 480p/720p/1080i/1080p