GUN Hitting up a gun show this weekend, advise?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Rownan, May 20, 2004.

1. Rownan

Rownan SHIFT

I am heading to a gun show probably Saturday, it'll be my first.

First, I have no experience with handling a gun, heh.. I've held a few, shot a .38 cal revolver once. I've only been really interested in firearms for the past couple months though.

I am looking to pick up a 1911, partial to Springfield, but if I find anything I like and the price is right I'll nab it.... I'm looking for something around the $350 range, so obviously it will be used.

Like I said I am a gun n00b and I'm sure the vendor will realize this the instant I take the gun from his hands. I've done a little bit of research about the specific gun I am looking for so I understand some of what to look for.

My question here is about etiquette. What am I allowed to do when the guy hands me the gun? What should I check? How do I check the trigger pull? How do I check the action... blah blah blah

I'm sure there is a n00b guide somewhere, link me please. My biggest fear is the vendor guy yelling at me for cocking the hammer or something.

2. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I am looking to buy a gun for my b-day, there is a gun show 2 days after my b-day, are the prices that much lower than at my local gun shop? I am deciding if I should wait. I am looking and still deciding, I wouldnt mind a Glock23 or XD-40

3. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

If you ask to look at a gun, be very respectful. Once he hands it to you, or gives you the go-ahead to handle it, pick it up carefully, like you normally would handling someone elses's gun. If you're going to shoulder a rifle, or put a pistol into a shooting stance, point the muzzle up and away from anyone. Ask permission to dry-fire the weapon to check the trigger pull. If you're un-sure of what the different buttons and levers do, ask the seller, don't try to figure it all out by yourself.

4. Rownan

Rownan SHIFT

This is some good advice guys! Thanks!

5. shohan

shohan New Member

All good stuff!

To reiterate(sp): Don't point a weapon at anyone. Good way to piss someone off.

Other then that, don't get stuck on one pistol at one vendor. Take a look around the whole gun show. You might find a better deal, you might not.

Probably the best advice though is to find someone familiar with guns and/or gunshows to go with you. If that's possible go that route.

6. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

Take Cash! Cash is the almighty discounter. If you go with a set amount of cash you can tell the vendor that, "Hey I have (x) amount of cash and that's it. Can we work something out?" I have been able to skip sales tax when using cash. Also don't just have your mind set on one gun. Look around for deals. I went to the gun show last weekend helping a friend find a gun. I was set on him getting a Steyr M9 but actually bought a CZ75. It was a better deal for a better gun and if I hadn't have been openminded then I probably would have never given it a second look.

7. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

When I go I will have cash.. I have an idea of what I want, but would be willing to be open to a deal. I just dont know if I can wait the extra couple weeks for the gun show

8. Furner

Furner New Member

Which gun show are you heading to? South Bend show is this weekend, I might stop by that one.

9. Rownan

Rownan SHIFT

Birch Run Expo. http://www.migunshows.com/

I am trying to get a buddy of mine to go with me, he's in the National Guard and can field strip just about any gun in milliseconds!

The cash idea is pretty good, I will take a wad with me.

:bigthumb: :cool: :bigthumb:

10. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

Being in the "National Guard" doesn't quite automatically make you able to field strip any gun. For example, give him a bushingless 1911 with a full length guide rod and let him take a crack at that. Good Luck.

11. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Preserve the purity of the gun show "swap meet" mentality: Avoid professional dealers and patronize the private owners who are there.

12. Rownan

Rownan SHIFT

lol yeah.. The point I was trying to make though is that he has some kind of experience. Any knowledge at all should be a big help.

13. shohan

shohan New Member

:bigthumb:

I was needing a website with a gun show calendar! Now I just have to figure out when I am coming home!