HIT(High Intensity Training)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by armond, May 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. armond

armond New Member

Ellington Darden wrote this book called The New High Intensity Training : The Best Muscle-Building System You've Never Tried, have any of you heard/read it? He based it off of the 70s and the current methods of Intensity Training. A lot of his work was derived from what I read the originator of HIT, Arthur Jones.

I bought the book the other day, and I read through the whole thing in pretty much a couple hours, it was that interesting to me. It mentioned people like Casey Viator, Sergio Olivia, Arnold Schwarzenegger(who is said to have been a quitter of the HIT system), Mike Mentzer(same as Arnold), and a few others.

I am not taking away from Arnold or Mike, it is just basically states that the system was a little much, and that they didn't want to continue it.

But anyway, I find the information quite refreshing. It is based on the theory that "less is more" during your lifting routines. It basically states that beginners can go with 2 sets of 10-12. The sets are done to near failure, so a spotter is recommended for lifts such as squats, benchpress, etc...

And I am not sure it is wrong at all. Mr. Darden uses a test subject and shows his progress through something like 6 weeks if I remember correctly. And I must say the results are rather good, with just the use of food, creatine, and hard work. Hard work meaning that after the sets of curls using HIT you want to puke or you do puke. :bowdown:

It also goes into a talk about protein, and basically says you do not need the 1-2grams per pound you weigh. It also talks on the using high amounts of carbs, moderate amount of protein, and moderate amounts of fat. It also goes into the loading and maintenance phases with creatine. Rest is also discussed and how much should be taken.

Several different routines are added so that you have something to work off of, and it has many explanations throughout of the exercises and how they should be done even while you are having the most trouble.

I must say that this read has had me kinda pumped up, and I gave it a try Friday. Let me say this, I wanted to puke so bad after my curls alone. At the end of the workout, I felt so pumped and yet so exhausted. Today is another day, and I actually feel rested and ready to go.

Anyone else get anything from this book or its theories?

2. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Never read anything about HIT training, but I've heard some people talk down on the training. Don't know why though

3. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

I read his original high intensity training books years ago. He came out with quite a few of them..."Massive Muscles in 10 weeks" etc.
    If I remember correctly one of his routines for biceps is to do a single chinup immmediately followed by barbell curls. Except the single chinup is done 60 sec both for the positive and negative. 2 minutes for the single rep. Few can do that.
    I experimented with that type of training off and on in my late teens and early twenties.
    I have a few friends that still are total proponents of it. I personally prefer higher volume for myself.

4. armond

armond New Member

Oh really?? Did you do it for any lengthy amount of time? Or was it a total once in a while thing? If it was for periods of time how was it Timber?

Hmmm, what exactly have the people been saying, the ones who have been talking down on it Brolli?

5. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

bodybuilders generally despise doing low volume workouts

6. shastaisforwinners

7. shastaisforwinners

. x 2

8. Deepsouthwrx

Deepsouthwrx If in doubt, flat out!

I am in the same boat with ya :wavey:...although this forum isnt very open to talking or even considering HIT, PM me :bigthumb:

9. Deepsouthwrx

Deepsouthwrx If in doubt, flat out!

well, we have heard the opinion from the peanut gallery...

10. shastaisforwinners

you can talk about it, but don't expect people that read and understand training principles to buy into it...

11. JuggetEQ

JuggetEQ New Member

Where vulnerable open-mindedness prevails
    PM me too. I practice HIT.

12. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

I did it for months at a time. When I first started training again when I turned 30 I did heavy duty (leaning towards Dorian Yates' style) for the first 6 months.

I won't knock it because I know people its worked for.

One of my friends has actually opened a gym just outside Toronto that pushes only that type of training. He's a proffesional kickboxer and his brother used to compete on the provincia level. And that's the only type of training they both follow.

Funny thing is just as this forum knocks HIT, I clashed with my friend a little because he wouldn't allow me to train clients with more volume.

Check out Dog Crapp training also. They pretty much do one set to failure with forced reps.

13. shastaisforwinners

there is a difference between it working and it being optimal though...

many retarded and non-retarded training protocols work, but it doesn't mean that they are maximizing your results. HIT has it's place, but the problem is that HIT nazis (along with GVT, CP, etc followers) think their way is the best, and only, way to train. Most people do it with their preferred method...

14. grooves12

grooves12 New Member

The thing is, here is a wide variation of what people consider "HIT" ... and quite often what I see you recommend for beginner's is based on the same priciples as HITers. (Full-body routines based on compound excercises and emphasis on the negatives)

15. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

True. Its debateable though what is optimal training.

Thing with both volume and HITters, each would accuse the other side that the gains were made on the opposing system was purely because of genes.

To those reading the HIT books...
    One thing Darden, Jones and Mentzer often compared was the so called great Colorado experiment where Viator (re)gained something like 60lbs in 6 weeks under HIT. This was then compared to Arnold failing to regain 25 or 30lbs in 4 months. Of course the HIT group fails to mention that Arnold was also preparing for the Mr. Olympia and was on a pre contest diet unlike Viator. Arnold was also already over 200lbs at the beginning of the four months (he'd leaned down for a role in 'Staying Alive' as a competitive bodybuilder). Viator on the other hand was down to 160lbs (I believe Jone had remunerated Viator depending on how much weight he initially lost).

16. JuggetEQ

JuggetEQ New Member

Facts are facts though. Muscle growth is only stimulated when temporary muscle failure occurs.

17. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Hmmmmm....

18. edmang

edmang New Member

A hypercaloric diet and progressively overloading your muscles has nothing to do with it?

19. shastaisforwinners

I don't even know where to begin.

20. jonno

jonno New Member

:eek3:

21. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

I give Jugget two more posts before he starts talking about Nautilus principles.

22. shastaisforwinners

My dad's Weider can beat up your dad's Nautilus

23. armond

armond New Member

Ok ok, I just wanted to ask a question or two, not really cause a huge conflict. let's just say we agree to disagree with that. I don't want the thread that I started to turn into a civil war in F&N. Just make your points but please do not bash.

I wanted to hear personal experiences with HIT, although the posts with ideals that counter HIT are interesting to read. Not knocking anyone at all, just stating that people are going to find facts that counter a certain theory on weight lifting no matter what. So on that note...

I personally think that everyone's body will respond differently to different methods of training. Everyone is unique, and that includes their body and how it responds. I know that any method of training will help any noob, but of course there is a limit. You always reach a plateau and so you must adapt somehow. Or am I getting that wrong?

I am also going to give HIT a chance, and see where I go. 6 weeks is not so long that I cannot stay with it. I am currently in training for a job, so I can actually go through with the lifting with no schedule problems.

I think that HIT is possibly as legitimate as MAX-OT, Westside, HIIT, etc... Everyone has valid points in their theories of training. I don't think there is only one right answer.

It is cool that others are interested in HIT, but I think JuggetEQ might have been off with his, "Facts are facts though. Muscle growth is only stimulated when temporary muscle failure occurs." I think muscle growth does/can occur even without temporary muscle failure. I do not have anything to quote, so I will not even attempt to.

please continue...

24. edmang

edmang New Member

Lyle>*

25. JuggetEQ

JuggetEQ New Member

All hail the thread king.

I was just stating a proven fact that muscle is stimulated to grow when worked to temporary muscle failure in the correct manner. By the way, Christophers, you are way bigger than me no doubt, but why do you wish to pick on the little guy? You have always done this to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.