SRS His name was James Dungy...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by skaterpunk, Dec 23, 2005.

1. skaterpunk

skaterpunk I don't need no stinkin green mushrooms!

And he was my friend.

In life you may not have a name.
    In life your name may become what you do.
    Baker.
    Hanger.
    Dorman.
    Smith.

And

In life your name may be preceeded by he who created the legend (or lore).

In this instance... the media is all over it. In Tampa and Indiana it is hit the hardest. ESPN and Foxnews all have their coverage. Countless others do as well.

The one thing they have in common... is that each article is preceeded by focus of the father. James comes second in his articles, his peer's reactions, his former instructors insight. They all fail to see the light that James has been trying to direct to their eyes.

James always wanted to be an individual, liked because he was James, not Tony's son. He loved his family, and was proud of his heritage. He wanted to be taken seriously, not handed platters. He wasn't the type of child who was handed whatever he wanted. He worked for his priviledges. He strided in school because he worked hard.

Now in all respect, I am not saying that Tony is not important in any of this. His son just wanted the respect. His son wanted his own light. This may be his last chance. Please don't take it away.

I believe this is one of the reasons he is not with us today.

Please, for the sake of James... pass this on.

At least
    In death he should have his own name.

To me (in life and) in death he shall have his own name.
    His name was James Dungy.

If you agree with this... or want to add a comment... or just wish to leave your name feel free to. Distribute this, or not... just remember him.

2. XTREME COCKSUCKER

XTREME COCKSUCKER New Member

What the fuck is this? A Fight Club chain letter?

3. skaterpunk

No... but when I was typing up what I was thinking it kinda just evolved into it. The media is covering this all wrong. One of the few things that I ever ever ever saw upset the kid was that he was always Tony's son. To everyone. Except us. I just didn't see it coming down to this. I wish I knew what would go down beforehand.

I had a friend who saw him last night before it all went down. He said James wasn't apparently upset or anything. He was his normal comical self. Behind closed doors I guess things were a little different.

4. XTREME COCKSUCKER

XTREME COCKSUCKER New Member

This might be innapropriate considering you seem to be close to him, but any insight into what happened?

5. skaterpunk

It is all over the news. Possible suicide. Everyone that knows him sees it as a very very odd series of events. I have some additional information, but I am keeping it to myself for now.

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Where's a crystal ball when you need one :sad:

I have absolutely no clue what this is about , some son commiting suicide :confused:

7. The otherAustin Phil

The otherAustin Phil "Hey, do you have a solid quarter for this?"

Sorry to hear about your friend man.

8. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

James Dungy was a nobody to the world, the only way any sympathy will be given by people other than those close to him, is if they mention his father.

The only reason shit like that gets passed around is for attention. If he was any other person there wouldnt be any attention payed to his death at all.

In other words, its sad, sorry for your loss, but if you want him to be recognized for who he is, and not his father, then there will be absolutely no media coverage at all.

And if he needs to kill himself to get his own life, then its good he is dead.

9. Banshee

Banshee New Member

I find those people that commit suicide to be very very selfish

10. Chicago

Chicago Unleash The Dragon - Sexy Rexy For President

:werd: suicide FTL

11. JOSHG

JOSHG TNA! TNA! TNA! TNA!

I agree...if you want to make a statement...there are much better ways.

12. Birdhouse in ur Soul

Birdhouse in ur Soul omg a girl! Pam>Karen and The Office Crew #8

I like what you wrote- it does say a lot. I can see where it comes from. I dont watch sports that much, and have no clue who he or his dad is. But all I heard was Dungys son this and Dungys son that. I immediately wondered what that kids life was like. He was in Tampa, the rest of the fam was wherever (Tx, maybe? sorry cant recall). So that alone makes someone think why would he want to be so far away from them in the first place. Obviously there were a lot more issues than led on. Sorry that you lost a friend... :hug:

13. skaterpunk

He always liked being around his family... he tried to be around for the games and always gave his support. He stayed in Tampa because he wanted to get back to his friends. He had a lot going for him, and knew where he wanted to end up. So the issue wasn't being apart from the family. IMHO the national coverage is a byproduct of the fact that he is Tony's son. That is understandable. Under the current situation if he were anyone else it would just be another death of a teenager. Suicide is the lose, and all my friends agree with that. Yet we wanted to make sure that at least some people were able to get the message he wanted others to realize. We got some news coverage, and they actually took this point into consideration while still digging at other underlying factors. I know OT isn't the most friendly place to post individual thoughts and feelings and there will always be some sort of opposition, but I remember him over my shoulder one day saying the site seemed to be pretty cool. So that is why I decided to post here. That is pretty much it. So whether you feel my pain... his pain, or just don't care... you have read this far, and I have to thank you for at least for the respect to continue on.

14. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

Copy from On Topic

15. Budha

Budha Guest

IMO I dont think it was a suicide, he probably just mixed the wrong perscription drugs in an attempt to get high. My cousin did that last year and died. They didnt know wtf happend to him till the autopsy.

16. PlatinumX

PlatinumX OT Supporter

James Dungy is the son of Tony Dungy, coach of the Indianapolis Colts football team. Tony Dungy and the Colts have had a great season, being 13-0 for the season until the Chargers defeated them on Dec 18th. Their 13-0 record was what caused such a media frenzy of a possible perfect season. A few days later on Dec 22nd, James Dungy was found dead in a Tampa Bay apartment from what appeared to be a suicide. There has been no official word on what the cause of death was, and probably won't be until an autospy is done.

I have great respect for Tony Dungy, terrible that he has to go through something like this.

17. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

18. Pioneer

Pioneer Are you annoyed? You will be.

Maybe it's not a statement, maybe it's just ... there's nothing here for me