hiring someone for programing?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by quzur, Aug 14, 2003.

1. quzur

quzur Active Member

whats a ballpark figure to have someone write a program/database in PHP for a website?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

:uh: 1 Gagillion dollars

For crying out loud, could you be a bit more vague?

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I'm making $2200 a month doing that sort of thing full time (40 to 44 hours a week) this summer. But yea, be more specific.

4. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

A couple grand.

5. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Give a little more info on what specs you need. I can imagine complexity ranging from a few bucks all the way up to hundreds or even thousands of dollars, depending on what you need.

6. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

It depends on what's needed and how much of the code can come "canned" (swiped from OSS or from a personal library).

Once you mention "database", the hourly rate tends to skyrocket pretty quickly. I'd guess you could find someone to code HTML and put a design together in the $20-$50 per hour range (while a really good web designer might be up as high as $125 an hour). Coding with database support requires another level of expertise and hour rates may range from $50 on up to $150-ish. The trick is the amount of complexity, planning, and work involved. A simple photo gallery that could be coded up on the weekend will be cheap to do. A full featured shopping cart built from the ground up (aka: no OSS used) will cost a lot more.

But if you're looking towards a professional firm, they may charge hourly or they may charge by project. At Tekro, we prefer to charge by project when possible, unless we feel the client may get unreasonable with feature-creap or the project is too open-ended to determine the total amount of project time needed.

Of course, your mileage may vary due to location, project, and weather...