HIIT Training - calves cramped and i felt like dying

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ohgod123, May 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohgod123

ohgod123 OT Supporter

So yesterday, I started HIIT for the first time. I just started running again this week and wanted to test it out. I didn't stretch long, maybe 1-2 minutes. Walked for about 2 minutes, then began my first set of 4 sprints. 25 seconds into my 4th sprint, my calves locked up, and I was unable to run anymore. I also felt pain when I was walking. I walked for about 7 minutes and then as I sat down in my car, sharp pains shot through my calves and I felt like the world was going to end.

Can anyone give me tips on how to avoid those cramps?

2. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Get plenty of fluids, electrolytes, and potassium. I eat a banana or two throughout the day and drink gatorade whenever I do HIIT or play basketball. No cramps here.

3. MP18

MP18 New Member

HIIT is an extremely high intensity, high impact exercise, what you did was basically the equivalent of jogging on a treadmill for a couple minutes then going and attempting a max squat attempt without any warm up

sprinting at +90% is no joke, if you haven't been running in general for a while, let alone any sprinting on the balls of your feet, you should not be attempting it

i recommend doing HIIT on a spin bike while concurrently jogging and sprinting for short intervals at gradually increasing intensity, once you can handle a few prolonged sprints, then try HIIT on the track

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.