HIIT cardio and weight lifting ???'s

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ElectricJW, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElectricJW

ElectricJW We are all ONE!

Would it be a good thing to do HIIT cardio the same day that I would lift weights? My plan is to do HIIT cardio in the morning, which is me doing sprints for about 10 mins, or until I'm exausted. Then l plan on lifting weights like around noon or later in the evening. I would also try to eat a decent meal after HIIT and before the weight lifting, then right after I get finished lifting weights.

The main reason I ask is b/c I'm in the routine of lifting 3 times a week, and I want to incorporate HIIT on the same days, since it would be easier for me to stick w/ this plan. So do you guys think that this would be ok, or should I do HIIT on the days I don't lift, or does it really matter?

2. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

A short HIIT session after lifting would be OK, but two separate sessions is considered a no-no. I would say to try it and see if it works for you as everyone is different....personally I need to keep my HIIT and lifting days separate, but it might work for you so give it a shot. The worst that could happen is you hit a wall and try something different.

3. archangel

archangel Active Member

doing HIIT on days u are lifting is perfectly fine as long as the workouts are spaced far enough and you get enough rest in between. I am guessing u are doing HIIT to burn fat???

sometimes i had to pack all my workouts into one so I did HIIT after weight training. I got good results.

4. CooperR6

CooperR6 New Member

HIIT for 20 min or so would be GOOD after weights?

5. archangel

archangel Active Member

if burning fat is your goal it is good.

6. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

If you can do HIIT properly for 20 minutes, after lifting....then wow.

7. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

I prioritze my weight training over any cardio I do, so I would lift BEFORE any HIIT...I would rather have the full tank of gas for my weight lifting and then come back for the cardio later, after my metabolism has had time to take full advantage of the weight training...it's up to you though, your priorities may be different than mine

8. ElectricJW

ElectricJW We are all ONE!

I'm doing this to mainly lose weight and get into shape, while keeping muscle. So I guess I"m going to start lifting weights before I do HIIT, but only when I do my upper body.

9. archangel

archangel Active Member

I've dont HIIT for 15 - 20 min while doing Pur's routine no problem. Its a great workout and is effective. 1:2 of 30 second sprint and 1 minute rest. 12 - 15 intervals. Though I DO NOT do HIIT after Pur's leg workout :barf:

10. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

i've been doing this, but 1:3 per John Berardi 30 sprint/90 rest

ditto on leg day

11. archangel

archangel Active Member

I also change up the ratios and length after i got use to the 1:2. I'll do minute sprints and sometimes 2 mintute sprints with the according resting period. Hows the training mark? Beer still got ya?

12. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

Yeah :(

working on drinking just straight liquor when I go out if I'm feeling like drinking. sitting at around 183 average and need to drop bout 20 lbs of fat :(

13. archangel

archangel Active Member

dude just put your mind to it. switch to clears, no bears and drink only once a week. its worth it in the end! Its hard i know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.