HIIT and the elliptical...how is it done?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by fahrfrumlosin, Feb 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fahrfrumlosin

fahrfrumlosin OT Supporter

Well I'm starting to feel my regiment on elliptical is beginning to get boring / ineffective...in about 18 days I lost maybe 2-4lbs...

I am intrigued by the HIIT type of exercise and was wondering if anyone actively does this on an elliptical machine. Typically I am on there between 30-35min at a constant rate something like 140-155 paces, level 7-8 goin to 10 by the last 50-100 calories on the counter and at the same time doing the cross-country arms thing.

Today I kinda tried HIIT on a non-arms elliptical...Went for a total of 17min...first 3min calm 140-145paces at resistance 7 without holding on, then go for about 1min at 165-170 then back down to 140-145 and I did this repeatedly to the 15min mark. By 15min, I decided to up to level 8 and do 2min 165-170 till the counter read 200 calories. (im assuming this isnt accurate).

Hopefully you guys can help map out a good routine. I'm pretty proud of my progress and would like to continue...I been goin to gym 5 times a week for the last 18-20 days and intermittent before then. I gave up soda and am watching my calories...I even have another post up about elliptical someplace on here.

2. Elfling

Elfling New Member

I did it on the elliptical for a bit...I think what I did was 40 seconds hard, 40 seconds rest. I ended up preferring to just run for HIIT.

Sounds like you're doing fine honestly..good job on the newfound habit!! :p Where in NJ and what gym?

3. Atenza6i

Atenza6i New Member

4lbs in 18 days?

sounds fine to me.

4. fahrfrumlosin

NYSC in Livingston, W. Caldwell, sometimes Springfield

5. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

My only advice with hiit is to not do it on a machine. You will be pushing yourself hard and that leaves less room for error. Worse, you could be following an unnatural motion while performing hiit on a machine and injure yourself. I injured my foot doing hiit on a treadmill, so you know where I am coming from. But then again, I guess it depends how fast you are actually going.

6. AKing

AKing It's like we've got each others backs

I was doing hit for awhile on a tread and i ended up messing up nerves in my foot. Hiit is effective for me but it also depends how you do it. I choose a stationary bike which has really helped alot.

7. fahrfrumlosin

OK, maybe i'll just stick to my regular elliptical regiment of 400-450 calories or 35min and do maybe an extra 15min HIIT session on a stationary bike.

After checking my weight today, I did in fact lose 4lbs since the beginning 18days ago!! w00t!

8. D-GUy

D-GUy Guest

Another word of advice, don't rely on the calorie calculators on machines. Just go by how hard you work.

9. fahrfrumlosin

When you mean "hard hard I work", are you referring to how tired I get, how hard my heart is pumping in my chest...etc?

How do you know when you "work hard". I only use the counters as a reference point for either time or work. I know they are not accurate.

10. D-GUy

D-GUy Guest

You're getting too caught up in the details for what you're doing. Bust your ass when doing cardio, I'm pretty sure you can tell when you are pushing yourself. As long as you do this, you'll see gains. Just do it within reason, don't go sprinting til you pass out and whatnot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.