SRS Higher Education v. fawked over

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by registeredPORK, Jan 30, 2007.

1. registeredPORK

registeredPORK Happy Poo Poo

I transfered from the Art Institute of Charlotte in NC to the Art Institute Internationall of Minneapolis Minnesota a few months ago and because I did this, the amount of fees that I had at the Ai of Charlotte was transferred to the Ai in MN.

Right now, I owe the Ai $17,000 and they want it up front. The reason for this is because I tried getting loans but I couldn't get them and I tried scholarships too but I didn't get any as well (and trust me, I applied for more then ten). At this point, I really don't know what to do and the 17k was just for three months of school.

I don't really want to file for bankruptcy because c'mon, I'm only twenty fucking years old. And I feel like this is a load of shit.

Those that want to get a higher education should be able to get it without having to go through all these fucking financial shit.

I'm now working two full time jobs and the school practically kicked me out because I couldn't get my loans to go through in the first place and I just really feel like shit.

My parents doesn't bring an income, I live with roommates, and I'm literally just way too fucking stressed out for this shit. My mom emotionally abuses me and maniuplates me (she's doing it now, trying to get me to move back in with her but I really can't).

So yeah, I don't know what the fuck to do.

Help?

2. 7960

7960 New Member

You can if you pick a college that's not above your means. I graduated from a well-known teaching school with no college loans. I had a PT job, was an RA, and worked my ass off on summers and school breaks, but I graduated debt free.

Go meet with the dean and tell him/her you need a year off to get your shit together. Get a job and save money. Pay off the loans you have and re-apply.

3. registeredPORK

I picked that particular college because of degree and teaching methods. I'm trying to get a degree in Culinary and granted, there might be some community colleges that offers that but their methods of teaching is bad. I guess I'm just fucking picky.

I worked while going to school and that didn't seem to help.

I wish I could. I am already in almost about 40k in debt for the school (if I'm lucky, hopefully just about 30k).

I will trying talking to the dean of the school though. Thanks.

4. Swak

Swak Artificially known as ObsoleteAsian

I went to AI , becareful they are tricky about there shit.

5. registeredPORK

Hai! I just found that one out... haha

... I'm allowed to be cynical about this ...

*sighs*

It's fucking me the stress out, though.

6. deviant

deviant rest your trigger on my finger

maybe if you cook the dean a nice gourmet meal he'll take pity on you and hook you up with a grant or something ;) :mamoru:

in all seriousness though, your best bet is to meet with an academic advisor and the dean and see if there's anything you can do that you haven't thought of. how much school do you have left?

7. registeredPORK

haha, yeah right .he already gets free food.

I only have about six more months left before I actually graduate but they don't want me back until I can get money to pay for what I have left.

8. deviant

deviant rest your trigger on my finger

is there any way you can get a student loan? very low interest rates and it's deferred until after you finish. if that's not possible do you think you'd be able to get a bank loan? the interest will be higher but if you can pay it off within a few years it won't be too bad.

9. Swak

Swak Artificially known as ObsoleteAsian

I am really lucky that my parents paid for my college up front. I have only heard horror stories of loans and shit with them from the other situations.

10. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

why could you not get any loans?

11. registeredPORK

I have tried applying for student loans but the thing is, I need a co-signer and no on wants to really co-sign. My mom can't co-sign because she has too many loans on her name as she co-signs plenty of loans for all my other blothers and sisters.

Other then that, no one is willing to co-sign for me.

I don't have enough credit for a loan through a bank either. Tried that one.

12. BradUF

BradUF Guest

That sucks but damn you really did pick an overpriced program. You really could have got the same thing for about 6k...

13. registeredPORK

The program is not over priced for what it is. Not only is there food cost but lab fees as well. I could not of had gotten the same experience in the industry and what it offered me from another school. Although it is expensive, I admit, the experience in the industry that I have gotten so far was great.

I'm not looking for a cheaper program (but thanks anyway?).

Looking for advice how I can finish my degree.

14. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

I don't know why you would need a co-signer...Usually the poorer you are, the greater your chances are of getting loans. I got more when my mom died because I didn't have to report her income. nobody had to co-sign even when she was alive

15. nish81

nish81 OT Supporter

Hey. I'm sorry, I have about no experience with this so I can't really offer any help, but just like to give you a :hug: for this

:wavey: hope you make it through!

16. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Most of the loans you are talking about only apply to public schools. Since he picked a private school he can't get most of them.

17. registeredPORK

I applied for my FAFSA loan and they're only helping out with about $450 (based on my income alone, excluding my mother's because she has no income).

I need a co-signer because I am not approved for the loan. I have the Stafford loan and the pell grant (sp?) although it's not enough to cover the expenses.

Also, with loans, each lender has different qualifications and mostly the ones that I have done are the ones that the school will only accept. So i'm kind of screwed anyway on loans.

18. BradUF

BradUF Guest

There is not really anything you can do. The loans to help out the poor are not to cover private schools that cost this much and for a good reason.

19. registeredPORK

I really don't need you to patronize me in any way, shape or form.

Oh, and stop being so condescending.