HighDef Crew // Monitor Crew Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MadEmperor, May 23, 2007.

1. MadEmperor

MadEmperor meh OT Supporter

I'm looking to get a pair of monitors for my new computer (love dual display lol)

I want to use the 2nd monitor for watching television sometimes. My monitor choices are a Dell 2007 20" ($300) and Dell 24" 2407 ($575)

The 24" has component inputs, so I could get HD programing on it, and use DVI for my PC. The 20" only has S-Video and DVI so no HD :wtc:

Is the component inputs on the 24" make it worth the extra $ (to get HD programing?

I've never had a HD set, so I'm not sure how big the difference would be on a 20-24" monitor

EDIT: They both have VGA as well, I'm not sure if that could carry HD and if it can be converted

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

IBhewisheshehadaBatmobile

Why not get a single widescreen instead? That way you don't have a blank spot in the center of your vision.

Yes, get the one with component inputs. You can't do high-def without component or DVI or HDMI (which is really just DVI with a different plug). VGA can do high-def too (anything above 640x480 is high-def, technically speaking, so computers have supported it for years), but the signal will be fuzzier than with DVI/HDMI.

3. MadEmperor

MadEmperor meh OT Supporter

Does HD make a difference on a 20-24" screen? (Television programming)

4. deusexaethera

HDTV makes a difference on any size screen. It's less noticeable on an interlaced screen (which is what TV's normally are), but on a progressive-scan screen the difference is MUCH more noticeable.

5. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

the 2407 will play 1080p stuff, the 2007 will have to squish the image to get it on the screen.
    You're looking at 1920x1200 vs 1680x1050. The 24 for sure accepts HDCP input via dvi, where the 20 doesn't.

If you're serious about HD stuff, you should pony up the extra cash for the 24.

6. deusexaethera

Yeah. It's not like you're going to replace it in a year. Screens last damn near forever, at least as far as electronics are concerned. Only thing with more longevity are speakers, and that's only because the core technology hasn't changed in 50 years.