High Speed Rotary

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by DangerousOne1, Oct 16, 2003.

1. DangerousOne1

DangerousOne1 New Member

Hey, i've been detailing for a couple years now, mostly my own car or people in the family. Over the past couple of months i've been getting more and more referal business and people willing to pay. Anyway, i'm getting great results from hand applied waxes and i'm very happy with the results ive gotten.

However, when I bought my 96 Mustang GT, it had acid rain on the roof and some on the trunk lid. I've used every bit of over the counter remover and have managed nothing but to pull the spots so close to the surfice I can scratch them with my fingernail. My dad has a rotary buffer, but i've never bothered to use it. Well, I finally decided I was sick and tired of the scratches and acid rain that wouldn't come out of my mustang by hand. So I ordered a bottle of perfessional deep cut cleaner and a professional polish from Meguire's website, both require being applied by a buffer.

I know the concept of using a rotary, and i've searched the internet trying to find how tos and such to get as much knowledge as possible before diving in. Is there anywhere on the net that can point me in the right direction so that I don't totally screw my first attempt up?

2. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

3. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

:werd:

1.) Read autopia.com
    2.) Use your rotary buffer
    3.) ?
    4.) Profit

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You can find an online rotary buffer video on www.meguiars.com ...not sure exactly where, but if you poke around you can find it.

I'd highly recommend buying a couple of fenders at a wrecking yard to practice on before using it on your own car....they can cut pretty fast.

5. the1eddins

the1eddins Guest

yah if the one you are referring to is the medium cut, it cuts so fast you have to "watch" what you are doing, cause it happens so fast. it is very possible to make the paint wavy with that stuff. never had that happen but i have fixed one of my friends out that used it by hand and messed his paint up by rubbing in one spot too long.

6. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Used what by hand?

7. DangerousOne1

DangerousOne1 New Member

I used the Heavy cut cleaner. I followed it up with a couple swirl removers, then the polish, a coat of #26 and then S100 cleaner and then wax. Car looks better than ever. I still have to finish doing all the small detailing things, including the rims, and then i'll post some pictures. BTW, thanks for turning me on to S100, def. the best shine i've ever seen.

8. quamen

quamen New Member

Well if u havent used a buffer before espeically high speed (rotart buffer)dont use it
    on a customers car at all. It takes alot of experience to use it. Im opeing my own mobile detailing operation
    again this summer. Some things u need to invest in before u even decide to use it are:
    A pro temp guage is great for a a novice, A paint gauge thickness A MUST! some tape and
    practice on a peice of scrap. It heats up so quick it is good to mod how high the temp goes so
    u dont burn through the paint. a paint thickness tool is great to how how much uv protection is left
    so u dont go through to much and the paint will fade etc down the road alot quicker.
    more questions give me a shout