high pitched beeping

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ben.str, Feb 24, 2010.

1. ben.str

ben.str New Member

i work for a small production co. and i ran into a weird problem the other night. i was filming a meeting and over our speakers and in my head set there was this loud high pitched beeping. at first i though it was a cellphone was going off. but i switched the xlr cable that was running from one of the mics to the snake. then after a while it happened again, this time i was watching the audio lvls closer and saw that channel 2 was jumping rapidly from the beeping. so i switched the channel on the board but it still happened so i turned off the amp to the speakers. it would still give off this hi-pitched rapid beep for a few sec and then it would stop. any idea on what it could be?

this is how we have the meeting set up. we have 8 mics connected to xlr cables that run to a snake(just a bundle of xlr cables) the snake runs to our board where we can work with the audio lvl's. the board sends audio via xlr to the camera, and it also sends audio via a/c to an amp then the amp sends the audio to the speakers via speaker wire.

if you have any ideas on what this beeping is called or what could be causing it it would be a great help for when i go talk to the boss.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sounds more like a question for Home & Car Audio.

Did you try replacing the mic?

3. ben.str

ben.str New Member

no we didnt have any extra mics

i think it might be cell phone interference but we arnt doing anything wireless. idk my boss said it is cell phones. as long as im not at fault im good haha.

just gonna see if i can have a room full of people turn the phones off.... i dont think that will go over very well but what can you do.

4. deusexaethera

I've seen cellphones cause that kind of interference before, yeah, but it's odd that it would only affect one channel unless that was the only mic in the vicinity.

Are you using shielded XLR cables?

My guess is only the guy standing in front of the podium needs to shut his phone off -- unless it's more of a round-table arrangement where everyone has a mic.

5. ben.str

ben.str New Member

yeah its a school board meeting so there are 8 mics plus 1 podum mic. at the next meeting i am just gonna tell the bord pres. to make an annoucment to turn phones off.

some of those people think they are more important than they really are so they probally wont.

my boss thinks its someone had their phone touching the base of the mic stand (the board members mics)

6. deusexaethera

The announcement needs to explain why the phones have to be shut off, that it interferes with the recording equipment; then even the self-important people will do what they're told -- and if they don't, the buzzing will broadcast through the speakers for all to hear, and they'll look like a fool for it.

7. ben.str

ben.str New Member

haha yeah

the superintendent last year wanted to spend 15 grand on a new office for him. when kids are using crappy chairs and old books and. and the teachers desks came with the school and are from the 70's.

8. deusexaethera

<michigan.jpg>

9. Graham

Graham OT Supporter

That's going on everywhere.

When the budget axe falls, the first thing they cut is one of the most beneficial for students: Extra curricular activity.
    Not the extra teachers jobs, not the extra administrative jobs, but football, basketball, etc, who needs that stuff, right?

10. deusexaethera

<unions.jpg>

However, <michigan.jpg> is still applicable, because there's a reason it's one of three states in the country with a declining population.