High Mileage Porsche 911 Reliability?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by UFO, Sep 7, 2007.

1. UFO

UFO Evolved

I've been looking at 911s recently and have come across a 1999 Carrera 4S with tiptronic and it's $20K. Why so low? 99,500 miles. What sort of nightmare would I be walking into if I bought this car?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

never owned one. Heard lots of horror stories tho.

3. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

The early 996s had an issue with porous blocks that caused cylinder wall failure and also issues with an intermediate shaft that would fail occasionally, meaning you would need a new motor. They also still suffer from issues with the rear main seal leaking although that usually is nothing more than a $400 fix. The newest 997 seal is supposed to be the end-all fix for the leaking seal and you rarely if ever see anyone complaining about a failed seal anymore. I personally have 30,000 miles on mine without a drop of oil on the floor.

If the engine has been replaced under warranty, it may be a good buy. The later 3.6 motors are very stout. Porsche went to a different company for their blocks and the intermediate shaft was revised. There are a number of them running around in the mid 150,000 mile mark that are driven daily and need nothing more than oil and gas.

4. UFO

UFO Evolved

Thanks. I'd heard about the rear main seal but not the porous block. The engine in the car has 99K on it and is the original engine, so it's not been replaced. I think, even though I could probably pick it up for $18K, it's just too much of a headache and I'll steer clear.

5. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

The flip side of the argument is that if it made it this far, it's probably one of the few good castings. Still, you track your cars and could potentially be courting disaster with the intermediate shaft. Wait a few years and you'll be able to pick up a clean 2003+ with some mileage that will be a tank.