High Mileage M5...worth it?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Slickismax, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Slickismax

Slickismax New Member

I found a guy with a 2000 M5 that is thinking about selling it. It has 135k miles, new tires, new brakes, Dinan intake, Dinan exhaust, Spec Stage III Cluth, and some brand aluminum flywheel. It has a rebuilt tranny as of 125k, and that is when the cluth and flywheel went in. No engine light, everything worked fine, except a few of the lines were out on the digital display. It's Black on Black, and the paint is in really good shape. He also updated the headlights to the 2001+ M5 lights. He said he'd take 22k for it. Any thought?

2. legal eagle

legal eagle OT Supporter

It's out of warranty. Parts for the E39 aren't prohibitively expensive like many of the newer AMG Mercedes vehicles, but they're still pricey. I don't know if I'd bite.

3. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

if the guy is older and it seems taken care of, with all of he proper records, then i would consider it.

4. danewreed

danewreed OT Supporter

I'd go '02 and up. What cars have you previously owned? Any European imports?

5. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

If you seriously consider getting it I would take it to an independent mechanic that you can trust to take a good look at everything. I would hate to blow 22k on a pile.

6. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

Much better deals out there. Near me a M5 same year with 72K was only 25K.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

All Euro cars require a steady stream of service visits; they're designed according to the "make parts lifetimes predictable so you can replace them before they break" philosophy. If you're not willing or able to take your car into the shop for real service at least once a year, don't buy a BMW.

8. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Don't forget tire costs and regular oil changes at $100 a pop and regular cam sensor replacement and the bi-annual valve cover gaskets/radiator/water pump replacement.

If making the payments on this car leaves you a comfortable amount of money to spend on maintenance and repairs, go for it.

If you are stretching your budget in order to buy an extremely fast car, you'd be better off to keep looking. Buy a GTI or an M3 for half the price, do a few mods to them, and save the difference for running costs.

9. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

i wouldnt the 2004 is the best second of all too many mods i mean who mods an M5?? however 22K is not alot of money if its what u want just be willing to possibly spend alot to keep it maintained and make sure it has a good history