High maintenance ?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Nev, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Nev

Nev OT Supporter

I've always hated high maintenance girls, but this girl I've been seeing seems a little different to me. She doesn't ask or expect anything from me, but she'll openly admit that she's "high maintenance to herself". She's a shopping fiend and likes expensive things, and always wants to go out and do expensive stuff. At least things that are expensive in my own eyes.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of nice clothes, going out, travelling, etc..but the problem is that i'm in college with no extra cash to be spending on stuff liek that right now.

Is this a situation I should be worried about? :hs:

2. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

That's not a question we can answer. Only you can. But it seems like you might have hinted at an answer in your post...read the bolded parts.

3. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

A problem if she starts expecting you to pay for the things she likes

4. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

I'm "that" girl. I'm very high maintenance to myself. I love to shop, I spend ridiculous amounts on shoes, purses, clothes, etc. I love travelling, and I love going out to bars and such with my friends and having no problem spending my own paycheck. But that's where it ends. I'm high maintenance "to myself", and I don't expect others to go to great extremes to maintain me. I've never asked or demanded a boyfriend to buy me expensive things, in fact, I usually feel bad when they do as a gift. If the guy I'm dating can't afford to go out like I do, I offer to pay. So, out of personal experience, I don't think this is a problem if you really like her. It only becomes a problem when she expects the same treatment out of you that she gives herself.

5. guiltybystand3r

guiltybystand3r On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for e

^you sound pretty down to earth, though I must say that I rushed in here when I saw "ShoePrincess731" :rofl:

6. Nev

Nev OT Supporter

:coold:

that's some assurance. I didn't know if the "high maintenance to myself" deal was just BS or if girls like that actually existed. :wavey:

7. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

:mamoru: the name just screams high maintenance, i know.

8. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

haha nope! We exist, but sometimes those "high maintenance to myself" turns into "high maintenance to everyone else". That's when the problems start..

9. Nev

Nev OT Supporter

Yeah, the thing is if I had more money, and it's somebody that I care about, I have no problem spending money on them. I'm not talking about beign taken advantage of in that sense, but I really don't mind stuff like that.

but she'll 'go shopping' and spend $500-$1k on new clothes easily.

10. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

:naughty: Yeah I just spent $400 on a pair of shoes last night...

But, if she's down to earth, she'll realize your situation, and won't think twice about it. That's how I am - in fact, maybe she'll start spoiling you! :p

11. Nev

Nev OT Supporter

I'd feel bad if a girl spoiled me

12. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Let me give you a piece of advice - DON'T!!!!!! Girls are very selfish and stingy creatues by nature. Some of us like to self indulge, and we like to carry that indulgence over to people in our lives we care about. For example, I go over the TOP for Christmas. I love buying people Christmas presents, like really good presents. So if a girl wants to spoil you a little, it's because she wants to, not because we feel obligated to in any manner.

13. low20

low20 Member

if she wants expensive stuff and she can afford it then its no problem...if she expects you to spoil her with gifts and shit then gtfo...

14. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I'm the exact same way. I loooove to indulge myself with nice gifts, and I always do the same to my SO or friends. I just love buying presents for people, for no reason. I don't expect anything back in return (well hopefully a thanks, but thats it!)

15. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

Is this the type of woman you want to marry and have bear your children?

If she is this materialistic now, just think of how much worse it will be when she has children to buy things for.

16. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

This is how I am too, but not as bad as you guys are saying. I'm also a deal hunter, ie the purse I'm carrying now is a $700 purse, but I got it for $300. I do love to go out, but a lot of my friends are in college and we do the dive bar scene which I'm fine with. I have no problem dating a guy who can't spend that type of money and paying for him to go out, within reason.

17. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

That is what I was thinking. A chick who wastes money she doesn't have on shit she doesn't need isn't going to be long-term material. Never mind kids, I wouldn't want to share finances with a person like that to begin with.

Such considerations aside, as long as she is spending her own money and not expecting lavish gifts from you, what's there to worry about? Don't buy her anything, and if she doesn't like it, she can leave.

18. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Spending money on things that are not essential does not mean she is irresponsible or non long-term material. I'm a lavish spender, but I have no credit cards, and I put all my bills and such in front of these purchases - i.e. this is not necessarily money I "do not have". Sure, some women excessively spend what they do not have, but not all of us do. :hs:

19. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Sure, if you can afford it then it's not so bad.

[​IMG]