High Intensity Interval Training

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by convolutedmind, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. convolutedmind

convolutedmind Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss e

I started doing HIIT last week but I've been seeing conflicting advice on what to aim for when doing it.

Should I be concentrating on my heart rate?
    Usually I go out all for 30 seconds and my HR goes up to about 90% max. After that I cool down and wait until my HR drops down to 75% then go again.

Should I be paying more attention to my HR than maintaining the 1:2 ratio of sprint/jog?
    I've noticed that it sometimes takes longer than 60 seconds to get my HR down.

2. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

You should be increasing your intensity with each interval.

Your heart rate is definitely important to be keeping track of during that time.

30 isn't always enough time, especially when you're pushing close to your max on your interval. Give yourself up to 1:15 if you need to. You should be able to get back down to 75-80% by then.

3. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

To clarify, you're saying use your heart rate as an interval guide more so than the time?

4. The Grid

The Grid OT Supporter

warm up 5 mins
    then sprint 10-15 seconds (start at 10, then pyramid up to 15 then back to 10 at end) all out, leave nothing behind, walk/jog for 45-50 seconds (make it 1 minute per interval)
    repeat 8-15 times depending on your shape
    cool down 5-15 mins

5. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

is there a consensus on whether HIIT is harmful to muscle retention, or does it not matter?

6. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

The actual proper way to do HIIT is to keep your heart rate around 65-75% of your max. As soon as you hit above 75% you would go back to your resting state.

So yes using a heart rate monitor would be the best possible way but its way easier to just select set times before hand. It gets annoying having to look at your tricep every 30 seconds especially when you are tired.

7. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

exactly, because each person has a different recovery period.

8. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

and to add - you'll find that as your endurance increases, your recovery time will decrease.

various factors can effect this as well, such as dehydration or illness. Even a cold can cause you to have a higher recovery time.

One thing i would recommend is to work on your breating. taking Big breaths through the nose, and exhale through the mouth...slowly, controlled and relaxed - and you're sure to bring it down quicker.

9. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-and-interval-training-part-1.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-and-interval-training-part-2.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.