High end laptop?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lockfinn, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Lockfinn

Lockfinn Fanboi

I'm looking to buy a high end laptop/desktop replacement in the next 6 months or so. Is there any technology I should be on the lookout for? Any advice suggestions? Video quality is very important as I am an avid gamer. Any video cards that you would recommend? Can you tell me the difference between the 6800 Go and the Quadro? I did a little reading and the Quadro is a workstation card, does this mean that the performance difference in games will be negligible? What processors do you like? I've always been an AMD fan and the 64 bit processor is intriguing, however people seem to like Intel in the mobile market. My budget is approximately $6000. Do you recommend a specific laptop manufacturer? Also, can you recommend a screen format (WSXGA, WUXGA, ... whatever else =P)

My main priority is high end gaming. I need a laptop because my occupation requires the ability to take my workstation with me at a moment's notice.

2. dijital

dijital New Member

i would say alienware, but people say that sager is the same thing but lower cost.

3. Lockfinn

Lockfinn Fanboi

Any reason you would choose Alienware over Voodoopc? Voodoo offers the Quadro ... any idea if it is actually better for games? The top Alienware only comes in grey :hs:

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

quadro for gaming is not a good plan, the 6800 is definately the way to go.

5. mace

mace i don't read

Apparently Falcon NW, Sager Notebooks, Hypersonic, and even Voodoo notebooks are all made by a company called Clevo.

6. SEPHROTH64

SEPHROTH64 Guest

alienware or a thinkpad. thinkpads are nice and IBM has some pretty good support but most of the hardware is proprietary

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

gateway.

I can't stand alienware/sager

8. Lockfinn

Lockfinn Fanboi

Does anyone have any reasoning to back any of this up? Not saying your opinions aren't valued just trying to form my own :)

9. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

10. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I would stay away from a laptop unless you absolutely need one. They aren't upgradeable and aren't as flexible in the long run.

So, having said that, build one.

11. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Same. I know people I work with that bought Sagers and they died in under 2 years. The new e-machines/Gateway laptops are nice.

Whatever you [thread starter I mean] get, look carefully at warranty options. I have a Dell and bought the 4-year-next-day-accidental-damaged-covered warranty. Worth every penny (about $450 when I bought the laptop). I've had two repairs in two years. I call, Dell either overnights a part or they send a person to me (home, office, customer site, etc). High end laptops are expensive, sucks if they break after 18 months and you have to pay to fix it. Or have to ship it to the manufacturer for repair.

12. arnderson

arnderson New Member

I thought that building a laptop was more work than its worth....:dunno: If you have any info on how to build one that would be great!

13. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

build a desktop was what I was getting at.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you can get the asus barebones kits... throw in a hdd, cpu, and ram and you're ready to rock and roll.