GUN High dollar custom 1911 vs. Semi Custom 1911

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AB13, Jul 30, 2008.

1. AB13

AB13 New Member

These are pictures from another board I frequent. They are a picture of two slides from reputable 1911 manufacturers. One is from Wilson Combat ($2400), the other is from STI ($1000).

Anyone like to guess which one is which?

[​IMG]

2. feetball

feetball New Member

STI on left?

3. My Spartan's slide looks like the one on the left.

4. sprite

sprite Active Member

Yeah... looks Wilson on the right just because of the density of the cocking serations. Classy of them to leave all those mill marks.

5. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

god i want a 1911 :o

6. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

cocking serrations gave it away :o

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

The affects on the milling marks of the disconnect rail is small, but it's not unreasonable to expect better. Especially from a high respected manufatuer like Wilson, whom I also fancy. Your hammer and disconnect is dragging on that, and I'd like to expect the smooths surface possible to reduce even a small percent of drag for the most optimal performance. Your hammer and disconnect would take unnecessary abuse from this, but it's more prolong/longevity damage than immediate or detremental damage.

It was suggested that the end mill was possibly dull, and not calibrated correctly. The more important aspect is the height of that disconnect rail as it contacts the frame. It relates to an important safety piece of the 1911. It would not be possible for them now to polish all of that tooling marks out, without compromising funcitonality of the pistol. They would have to start over or add material, which isn't ideal.

Springfields are fairly notorious for this type of sloppy milling inside the slide. Even my Loaded is riddled with tool marks inside my slide, then again it was "only" a 1000$ 1911.

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

The enhancement package does not entail any clean up on the slide. They are more parts enhancements. So I considered it par with what you would expect directly from STI, which MSRP's for $1024, but readily sells for $9xx. So I thought that was an irrellevant piece.

Even if it was $1400, it still would not make it any better.

9. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

So... STI > Wilson combat?

Do Wilson Combat 1911s at least shoot better?

10. I sense feelings getting hurt in this thread.

11. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

I honestly wouldn't care so much about those marks if the gun ran fine :dunno:

12. :ugh: You're getting pretty defensive for something in which you "have no stake." I'm not sure what to make of the sidekick comment, other than to take it as you are indeed upset over this thread.

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

At $2400, I would care. I would expect "immacculate", and would be embarrassed with my purchased when comparing it to a relatively cheaper gun.

I did not intend for this to be a "<" ">" thread, for the record, I do not own any STI guns. This is just an example that it can happen to any gun of any price point when proper attention to detail prior to purchase is not done. No gun is immune.

I've heard and seen this before, I just thought I would share this time.

14. There's a difference between "stating the other side" and stating the other side while making personal attacks which demonstrate your obvious displeasure with this topic.

15. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Mostly cosmetic flaws. If you really want to sweat the important stuff you should test the rockwell hardness of the slides and frames. I think much of what you would find is not very good. I can't give more details than that but if your going to build a custom 1911/2011 use SVI parts.

16. sprite

sprite Active Member

Guys... let try not to lose sight of what is important here. And what is important is: Glock > *.

17. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

:rofl::rofl:
    That was so random.

18. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

FWIW, here is a shot of the slide off my Wilson. I doubt that is the "normal" way Wilson puts out a weapon or they would never have gotten the reputation they have. I'd still not have a problem paying twice the cost of an STI for a Wilson because how the slide is finished is hardly the measure of the sum of the gun's parts.

[​IMG]

19. The smart ass remark? You're the one who said "Atleast WC has the best customer service in the business..." I just pointed out that it seems like feelings are being hurt. You obviously took that to mean you. Strange how you knew exactly who I was talking about...:hsugh: Then you got all defensive and made personal attacks.

20. I explicitly stated, in the post you just quoted, that I was talking about you. Feel free to go back and read what you quoted. Focus on the part where I say "You obviously took that to mean you. Strange how you knew exactly who I was talking about." Now, why was I talking about you? Because it was OBVIOUS that you were a bit butthurt.

As to "It was mainly AB and myself discussing things in this thread" In the 16 posts leading up to my post, you had only quoted each other once. On the other hand, 5 other people did post, and you managed to quote 3 of them.

Anyways, I never said anything bad about Wilson, and I do like their guns. I was just pointing out that it was pretty clear that feelings were being hurt.

EDIT: Your "sidekick" comment was far more snide than anything I had said up until that point.

21. :fawk:

22. You just seemed defensive.

23. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:rofl: @ deputy AB

24. 47footCaptain

47footCaptain New Member

this thread comes at a good time for me. I'm seriously considering an sti legend for ipsc

25. I'm sure you can come up with something better than that. I don't want AB to shoot me.