high blood pressure wtf

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by animosity, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. animosity

animosity New Member

Hi everyone. I've been skulking around these boards for quite some time now and read lots of good stuff here so I though I should ask this following question here before I go have some blood work done and worry sick.

Fooling around with a friend's blood pressure monitor, I realized that I have high blood pressure and I can't identify the cause ( maybe you can ).

I took the measurement right after waking up from a mid-day nap. ( no work out or any physical work that day ). It showed 138/84. ( I keep reading that 120/80 is good and anything above that is....bad ? )

Now, I'm not a smoker, I don't drink coffee, I don't drink alcohol ( maybe I sip some red wine once every 1-2 months ), I lift weights 4-5 days a week for one hour, I don't do any cardio, I have a sedentary job ( sit in front of the computer for 8 hours ). ( The reason for not doing cardio is I'm trying to bulk up...but meh I can't say my muscles are exploding after 3 months of weight lifting ).

Simply put, I can't see the reason for my high blood pressure. Could it be something in my diet? ( oatmeal, milk, boiled egg, 1 fish oil capsule, 1 multivitamin capsule, calcium capsule, vitamin d at 6am, 2 turkey breast sandwiches at 10am, apple or bannana at 1pm, 2 turkey breast sandwiches at 2pm, work out at 5pm to 6pm, protein shake right after, either rice, pasta, some form of meat or whatever the woman cooks for dinner at 6:30ish pm, can of tuna or another sandwich at 10pm right before bed. ( There's a lot of bread in a day - don't know if it's healthy - but it is whole grain/ multi grain bread. ) I should mention that I use some zesty/spicy/hot sauces for my pasta/rice that I make out of tomato paste + water + spices + tabasco + soy sauce.

I'm 24, I weigh 86kg - that's about 200lbs I guess. I'm 183cm/6". I see myself skinny, although I can see some love handles starting to show up and lower abdominal muscles (bellow belly button) are getting covered by fat. Have no clue about my bodyfat %. I used to play basketball a lot ( 3 times a week for 2 hours ) and work out 2 times a week up until I turned 22. Back then nutrition was all messed up ( thank God for meeting the ppl that pointed out this board ).

Any suggestions on what may be causing it? The weight lifting? The diet? Life style? Maybe I should change something around or add some other thing. Meh... I don't know, but I'm pretty worried.

PS: sorry for the wall of text, and for my spelling ( English is my 3rd language )

2. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

138/84?

fuck you asshole...when your's is 150/95 you can talk about high BP...

seriously...138/84 is fine...

3. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

holy first post

4. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

could be genetic also

5. erok81

erok81 All your canyons are belong to me!!

I would love mine to be that low.

6. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

138 over 84 is perfectly within normal boundaries.
    BP can vary within minutes of each reading as well.

There are a TON of factors that effect BP.
    Anything from diet to environment and everything in between.
    At 138 over 84, i wouldnt lose sleep over it.
    If you seriously think is high (like 150 or 90+) go visit a doc.

There are a ton of sites that can help you reduce your BP.
    Water intake.
    Sodium free diet.
    Lower fats/cholesterol etc.

7. maxxpower

FYI, mine runs 135 over 85 normally.
    Currently at like 150-160+ over 90+ because of my supplements :)
    You dont have high bp.

8. maxxpower

of all the fucking places on OT to make your first post, you chose this thread?
    lol

9. animosity

animosity New Member

haha of all the "fucking" places on OT, I visit this forum daily, while I never go onto the others. combine that with the BP scare, it only seemed logical. sorry if I messed things up or if I offended anyone.

I forgot to mention, I drink water throughout the day like a camel. During the workout alone I pour in 1.5+ liters.

I'll have to check the sodium amount in that bread. People keep telling me I'm eating too much bread :). I'll look into the fat/cholesterol numbers more closely as well.

Thanks for the replies guys.

10. Richard Manuel

Richard Manuel OT Supporter

welcome to ot. also, be sure to get it checked with a hospital-grade monitor at some point. It sounds like you are basing all of this off of one-test on a friend's consumer grade monitor. To really know your baseline BP you need several tests with an accurate monitor. Any number of minor things could have spiked your BP momentarily when you took that test.

11. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

take it every day, multiple times a day and average it.

134/84 is fine. that's like claiming you have a fever when your temp is at 98.7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.