HIDs For my '07 Cherokee

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by krazywulph, Dec 28, 2007.

1. krazywulph

krazywulph Guest

So I'm wanting to tint my front windshield, and before I do this, I will obviously need better visibility. My lows are 9006s, but I wanna do Fogs too. This means I need 4 ballasts right? I have two laying around from my '04 Explorer (coincidently also 9006, but I lost the bulbs), but I need new bulbs and a relay. I think I'm gonna go with 6000K unless you think otherwise. Where's the best place to get 'em online (best prices)?

Here's a pic of my jeep and my old explorer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Grand... its a Grand Cherokee.

3. Kremlin

Kremlin "Wrong" ~ President Trump circa 2016 OT Supporter

why are you tinting your windshield?

4. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

truth

5. krazywulph

krazywulph Guest

sorry man, figured most people knew that the cherokee went out well before '07...

anyway, i am aware of the legalities... I'm doing the lightest possible tint, I have sensitive eyes and can't stand how clear the windshield looks compared to the rest of the truck... so how about some recommendations? :x:

6. krazywulph

krazywulph Guest

I understand that... the lightest I could find around was a 50% tint, but I would prefer a 70%.. I don't want to go THAT dark if possible... All my other windows are 15% btw.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Okay, for starters, ALL auto glass has around a 75% tint (i.e. 25% of light is blocked) by design. Glass isn't perfectly transparent anyway, and all newer cars also have anti-infrared and anti-ultraviolet coatings on their windows that also block some visible light. You just don't notice because you're used to it. Roll your window down halfway sometime and look at the difference between the direct light and the light coming through the glass, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Furthermore, retrofitting HIDs onto a car with reflector housings is sketchy at best, and illegal and dangerous to other drivers at worst. There are HID bulbs that are tuned to produce light at the focal point of a reflector, which will at least eliminate glare, but the reflector WILL NOT distribute the light the same way a projector does, which means oncoming drivers will get pegged with blinding blue light every time you go over a bump or come over the top of a hill.

Oh, and unless you're going to get 4300K HID bulbs, the light will have too much blue in it and it will actually be WORSE for seeing at night than your old headlights. Because of this, HID bulbs' only real benefit is lower temperature and higher efficiency, which has nothing to do with what you're trying to achieve with this little project.

Granted, you probably don't give a shit about the safety of other drivers on the road, or else you wouldn't be considering combining these two mods in the first place, but I figured you should at least be aware of why you'll be an asshole if you go through with it.

- - -

Alternately, you can buy OSRAM Silver Star bulbs (NOT Sylvania SilverStar), which are the best and brightest halogen headlight bulbs in the world, and you won't have to jerry-rig anything to get them to work. And for your sensitive eyes, you can spend the money you saved not buying a shitty HID kit on a pair of Oakleys instead.

8. E-dub

E-dub New Member

Get some sunglasses. Tinting your windshield is fucking retarded.

9. Read more...

Read more... SPQR

I was expecting a thread about a new Liberty with foreign plates.

10. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Yes you need four ballasts, one for each bulb.

The 2008 Grand Cherokee offers HIDs and comes with projector housings. You might want to buy the headlamp clusters off one or from a dealer.

11. Original

Original OT Supporter

Granted I agree with the rest of your post.. any temp HID's will produce better output than stock halogens.. even if you went with 12000k.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

windshield tint == faggot+retarded.

aftermarket hids fucking suck, you just blind everyone else on the road.

13. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

HID's ftl. go with halogen, or check out xeon (some manufactuers use it oversees in cars, blows halogen away...might be illiegal in US, not sure)

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you mean xenon?

that's what the sylvania siverstars are. they're okay. not great for the money.

15. Asher

Asher With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, i

People who tint their front windshield should be beaten about the head and neck with a bat doubly so for any fag who does this to a Jeep.

16. deusexaethera

Jolly, for the first time ever, I kinda want to give you a hug. :cuddle:

17. deusexaethera

They may produce more light than halogens, but that doesn't automatically mean better visibility. Your eyes are tuned to respond well to small quantities of blue light, not large quantities. The image resolution of your retinas goes to shit when it's exposed to bright blue light, whether direct or reflected.

Have you ever seen a motorcycle with a blue-spotted taillight? It used to be really popular; people would put a little bright blue light in the middle of their red taillamp, and instead of the red light getting brighter when they'd hit the brakes, the little blue light would come on instead -- and it looks for all the world like the entire taillight turns purple when that happens, because your eyes can't figure out where the blue light is coming from.

The only thing that a small quantity of blue light is good for is seeing at night when dim blue light is the only light around, or for adding to bright yellow light to improve the ability to distinguish color -- and in that case, the actual shapes of objects are distinguished entirely by the yellow portion of the light. Bright blue light by itself is worthless.

18. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

just leave it alone