hidden ssh tunnel v. old people

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RubiconSahara, Nov 15, 2006.

1. RubiconSahara

RubiconSahara OT Supporter

So I maintain my in-laws PC for them and every attempt I've made at retaining a connect to the PC is killed by my father in law who knows nothing about computers but thinks he's a hacker because he can use google.com. He likes to jack around with everything "adjusting his settings". I probably spend more time dealing with their PC either redoing it or correcting things my father in law has done to it than I do with clients.

In my last effort, I used bitvise tunnelier to maintain a connection to a pc in my home with openssh and just forward the RDP port so I can connect securely. He has taken down my connection twice now and when I try to walk him through setting it up he screws it up worse.

I use fire daemon to keep tunnelier running as a service, but it relies on a profile to work which he keeps messing with.

Does anyone know of a way to run a hidden tunnelling program that he can't get his hands on? I've tried giving him a limited access account, but he filled my answering machine up with pissed off messages that he couldn't do anything.

My wife thinks I should start charging him to fix the computer to get him to stop, but I don't feel right about that.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I'm just posting cuz I would like to know a good answer for this too.

I have several friends/relatives that are dumb as a rock on their pc's and I catch hell trying to walk them through stuff on the phone.

Fixing it in person ain't so bad, but over the phone... :hsugh:

Makes me feel like I'm bleeding through the ears.

3. maleman876

maleman876 New Member

charge him.

or, tell him you are setting up something so you can fix it remotely (and tell him what), and if he breaks that youll have to charge him.

4. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

:rofl: yeah my dad does the same shit all the time. he buys all these apps and shit for disk cleanup and firewall etc and he always blocks himself out of internet or lately he deleted some boot files or something and then his computers down and out. But yeah it sucks trying to explain shit to them.

5. negative zero

negative zero New Member

why can't you just run pcanywhere?

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Windows Messenger has a built-in easy-access button for Remote Assistance. When he needs help, tell him to start a Windows Messenger chat with you and then click the "Start Remote Assistance" button on the right-hand side of the window.

Other than that, put a shortcut to System Restore on his desktop, show him how to use it, and let him experiment all he wants. It's his goddamn computer, and besides, if you don't let him fuck up he'll never learn what he's doing wrong. Or do you enjoy the idea of having to fix stupid shit three times a week for the rest of his life?

7. deusexaethera

PCAnywhere is a bitch to set up.

8. negative zero

negative zero New Member

:ugh:

9. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Couldn't you just use the windows remote desktop? I can't imagine there would be much for him to screw up with that :dunno: Might be a bit slower but it might work.

10. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Good idea, I do this with a few home clients.

I would definitely start charging him as well. He knows he can fuck something up, and that you'll just fix it for him. He is probably not as careful as he would normally be, only because he knows he can use you you as his safety net.

11. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Does that work OK if one or both of the users are behind a NAT router? Do any ports need to be forwarded?

12. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Clearly the answer is to divorce you wife. No in-laws, no problem :bigthumb:

13. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I've been in a similar situation with my girlfriend's dad. Anytime we'd go to visit there was some new obscure spyware on his computer that he wanted fixed. I think it was around fix #3 or 4 where I told him that this was the last time I'd fix it and if he wanted to avoid it he should only visit trusted sites (i spit out a few names of news sites that were Ok).

A few weeks later he messed it up again but I stuck to my guns. I'd recommend you politely pull yourself out of the "FREE IT GUY" position.

14. deusexaethera

It's all automatic. All he needs to do is check two checkboxes in the Windows Firewall Control Panel: "Remote Desktop" and "Remote Assistance", and then you can help him any time he asks for it.

15. deusexaethera

That's why I said to put an icon for System Restore on his desktop. That way he can undo whatever stupid shit he does, or at least try to, before bothering you about it.

16. RubiconSahara

Thanks guys. He has a dynamic IP and an old router that doesn't have the update script in it for stuff like dyndns.org. So it makes it hard for me to locate his computer with out his assistance. I have put the update script on the computer and he always removes it. Running the ssh tunnel allows the computer to locate me and also I can setup the remote login with no password by modifying the group policy to only allow no password RDP sessions from the localhost.

I'm tempted to set it up, ghost it, and put the image on a cd with an auto restore script setup. If he breaks it, tell him to put the disc in and reboot the computer.

Charging him is still an option I might look at, but I think it would cause more akwardness than we already have from past events.

17. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

You could also use the free version of logmein. Set it up under your own account and it'll launch and log in at startup. Then you can control it any time you want without needing to know its IP address.

18. deusexaethera

Jesus. USE SYSTEM RESTORE. It works FINE for everyday fuckups. If he can't get Windows to boot, THEN you can go over and fix it for a pre-negotiated fee.

19. RubiconSahara

He turns it off as one of his settings. I tell him do not touch something and it magically gets changed and he denies doing so all the time. It's a pain in the ass.

20. deusexaethera

Is he running some fucked-up antispyware program that's shutting off his system restore because it might contain viruses?

21. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

I have not looked too much into Window's auditing feature but it might be what you need. If it can do you, enable auditing on his computer and have it log when the settings are changed. Then when he has a problem and denies he did it, you can look in the audit journal and see who made the change and when they did it.

22. Doc Brown

I wonder if you can lock that down in the group policy editor?

23. Doc Brown

I can't help but wonder though. Would a malware app smart enough to shut windows restore down, be smart enough to make it look like user input?

Also, I really don't believe that restore is getting shut down like that anyway.

A lot of malware gets hooked in deep because of system restore...

24. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

It will get logged under the user id the program was running under. The auditing is handled by the OS so a program can't change the user id to log the entry. If this is the case of malware (which I doubt), there will still be a process running for it that you could find. This definately sounds like user error.

25. Doc Brown

I like the sound of using that. Is auditing on the xp disc, or is that an addon?