HID replacement headlights

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by spoon-ex, Oct 19, 2001.

1. spoon-ex

spoon-ex Active Member

i was flipping through the stations on tv and i seen this car show and they had HID replacement headlights for chevy trucks and i was wondering if any one knew where i could get them, i missed the beginning part where they said who made them and where i could get them, n e help would be appreciated

id like to get them for my dads new s10

2. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

I'm seeing Xenon headlamps being retrofitted on all sorts of vehicles now and was wondering the same thing. I read you need to upgrade the wiring to fire the ballast when turning them on, otherwise they look cooler, throw more light, use less electricity, and last much longer than halogens.

There's full kit available for my Buick Grand National (which I am getting) that's about $600 or so. But I would be interested in other vehicles too, anyone have some info?

3. spoon-ex

spoon-ex Active Member

yeah, i was talking to a guy at a off road shop in md today and he said he is gonna try to find me some more info, but from what he was saying, its pretty much plug and play, no changing wiring or n e thing, the ballast and all the upgraded parts u need is contained in the unit, just unbolt the stock headlight and replace it with the HID unit, im hoping to get some more info here tomorrow or monday

4. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

I got my HID's from Ebay, I have an Explorer. They seem to be on there for just about every kind of vehicle, and they're cheap too. The only place I've seen sealed-beam HID's is AutoZone, so if you have one near you check them out, they should have your model.

5. We_Todd

We_Todd I'm a naughty squirrel.

HID look alike or real HID systems? One is 15-75 bucks while the other is about 600+.

I know Phillps makes HID systems. They have one for about every series plug sizes out there.

If you just want HID look alikes. PIAA superwhites are your best bet.

6. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

Yea HID lookalikes, of course, they're on ebay ;)
    I'm probably going to be switching to PIAA soon though, the look-alikes have been decent but not quite what I wanted.

7. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

I got IPF magic j-bulbs for my Cherokee and they are awesome. 3'xs better than stock for the same wattage. They also glow for approx. 15 minutes when you turn them off in either green or blue.

8. Pat McCrotch

Pat McCrotch Guest

xtreme,

will those bulbs work in other vehicles, or are they specific to the headlights that you bought? In otherwords, can I buy the bulbs and have them work on my Nissan?

Thanks!:bigthumb:

9. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

You'll have to check with the company. But I had to buy ARB headlamps to put them in since my Jeep came with sealed beams.

10. spoon-ex

spoon-ex Active Member

We_Todd, it was the actually replacement headlight, the whole thing, case and all. my dad really wants to get them for his truck and ive been searching all over the place, i know philips makes a set but they don't sell the lenses which really makes it look a lot nicer cuz they are designed for HID lights unlike the stock lenses