HID Conversion Kits

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Julez, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Julez

Julez Active Member

Hey my current car has halogen lights and I've read about making the lights look better by using a HID Conversion Kit. I was wondering if anyone does this and what their experience has been with it and also if it is strictly "plug and play" where do you put the Two Ballasts boxes. Any tips:hs:
    ?

2. Brigante

Brigante i'm a lurker without an avatar, deal with it

if you have reflector-based headlamps. don't do it. the glare is annoying. get your hands on audi or bmw projectors and retrofit your car. if you want just the look of HID, there are several companies that make HID-like halogen bulbs. but the brightness and benefits of a true xenon set-up won't be there, it may actually worsen your view of the road at night by putting those HID lookalike halogen bulbs.

3. Julez

Julez Active Member

i'm not exactly sure if my car has a reflector-based headlamp, its an 07 camry, and I don't think it does. I don't want to have to put any money in it to modify it other than low end customizing(tint, hid etc). What way can I check it my car is reflector-based. where do the ballast boxes and power source go. I dont want to put them somewhere where they dont belong.

4. Branislav

Branislav orly?

your car does not use hid projectors, so it is reflector based.

You can put the ballasts wherever you want technically, just mount it somewhere like its supposed to be there.

It's goign to be your choice, do just the bulbs in a regular halogen housing(200) or do it correctly and do a HID projector retrofit(500). Retrofits look AMAZING compared to stock.

5. Wilddog

Wilddog OT Supporter

If you dont do a retrofit, you will have massive amounts of glare which; looks terrible, blinds other drivers, and will probably get you pulled over

6. Julez

Julez Active Member

If I go ahead and do a HID Projector Retrofit, what kind of auto company would do that for me, because I'd rather have it done professionally

found this online.
    "The only safe and legitimate HID retrofit is one that replaces the entire headlamp—that is lens, reflector, bulb...the WHOLE shemozzle—with optics designed for HID usage. In the aftermarket, it is possible to get clever with the growing number of available products, such as Hella's modular projectors available in HID or halogen, and fabricate your own brackets and bezels, or to modify an original-equipment halogen headlamp housing to contain optical "guts" designed for HID usage. But just putting an HID bulb where a halogen one belongs is bad news all around."

How much would this process cost. I'd imagine pricey if I need a whole new lamp

7. Brigante

Brigante i'm a lurker without an avatar, deal with it

NO auto company, or any company will retrofit for you now that they've cracked down on aftermarket HID kits. you're gonna have to do it yourself or find a "friend" to do it for you, or find a set online somewhere. but yeah, projectors are the way to go. the light is more evenly spread and you won't blind oncoming traffic and like someone mentioned, you won't be easily singled out by cops.

find some online or if you dare to, try it yourself but i'd suggest having a few extra sets of factory headlight assemblies lying around, just in case since you haven't done it before.

8. GTSlow

GTSlow New Member

Sounds like you should just buy some nicer halogen bulbs. HID seems to be a bit beyond your skill level to retrofit properly.

9. I'm interested in this as well..What's a good reliable halogen bulb that'll last a while and not blind other drivers...but look noticeably nicer than stock?

10. Julez

Julez Active Member

Yeah it appears that way, any brand or type that you recommend.

11. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

I just looked at Toyotas website, every picture I saw of the 2007 Camry seemed to have projector based headlamps..... (lowbeam only of course). If that is the case, you can just get the conversion kit and not have to deal with retrofitting any projectors.

Better yet, just take a picture of the outside of your headlight and we'll be able to tell you your options.

12. Julez

Julez Active Member

These aren't my pictures, but they are of my car. The last two are of someone else's HID
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Julez

Julez Active Member

14. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

The glare shouldnt be bad at all if you have the same headlights as the ones you pictured (1st pic). If you see that blue-looking speherical part in your headlight, then you have projectors. Legality I'm not too sure about though, you'd have to find out your state specific laws and if the conversion kits are street legal (they should state that on their website).

15. GTSlow

GTSlow New Member

I have the stock sealed beams but I'm looking at getting a Raybrig H4 conversion. Haven't decided on bulbs. Sorry i can't help more.

16. Live4USMC

Live4USMC New Member

I put a hid conversion kit in my r32, no problems looks great, glare isnt bad at all. [​IMG]

17. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

thats fuckin bright for just a picture

18. Live4USMC

Live4USMC New Member

yeah they are pretty bright, they are aimed so they dont blind on coming traffic. Had them in for a while now and no one has flashed the brights :naughty: so im assuming they havent blinded anyone.

19. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

no glare, and yet the photo you posted shows tons of it... just look at the ground

ugg

anyway... when you have a halogen projector housing, it can be either hit or miss... some will work with hid's, some won't... what you really need to look at is what kind of bulbs the projectors use. A halogen projector using an h9 bulb(as a lot of newer ones do), seem to take quite well to hids, h7's are a bit hit or miss, h3's and h1's rarely work well

putting hid's into your car, unless done in very specific manners(i.e. retrofitting an entire headlight unit or one of the few dot legal housing) is illegal.

I HIGHLY doubt you'd ever get any trouble from the police in that car though

20. JubjubRSX

JubjubRSX New Member

i had halogen lights to i completely got some nice TSX projectors retrofitted...definately the way to go...dont bother with the cheap bulb setup

21. seismic

seismic New Member

That glare is horrible.

22. thatoneguy

thatoneguy OT Supporter

his lights are pointed down and to the right.....

exactly how would that glare oncoming drivers?

23. seismic

seismic New Member

Using non-hid projectors make it so the light doesn't get cut off where it should. It's also much brighter than it should be, so any glare that comes out is worse than if it was a standard headlight.

What makes you say it's down and to the right?

24. Dipstick

Dipstick New Member

I just joined upo I was on here back in 2001 but my account was deleted thanks to being idle. Heh..
    Anyway, check out Sylvania Silverstar - don't do any of the retrofitting crap. Chances are they won't do it right and it will cost a bundle.

25. 2500

2500 Guest

my lexus doesn't have HIDs but it is not reflector based....... not all projectors have HIDs.

i have a few friends with the plug-n-play HID kits. they, are, just, blue, lol. when you get into a BMW or EVO or something, the light is pure white. but, with the pnp kits, its blue. reflector housing is the worst. my friend put them in his 2005 accord, and its just bad. my other friend has them in his 04 mazda 6, which has projectors. its still blue, but, a more directed blue light as opposed to a glaring blue. blue light is hardest on the eyes. those kits run from 250-300 bucks. i know when i do my HIDs, i am replacing my stock projectors with audi TT projectors. so, i will have the same look as the audi TT. i know on clublexus, there is a place that does the SC300 (what i have) conversions using all genuine audi parts for 700 bucks. i'm not sure if they do any car, nor can i find out cuz i'm banned, lol. but, go to clublexus.com and go down to the bottom in the lighting forum. thats, technically pnp cuz you send out your lights, they put the audi TT projectors and full HID setup in them. then, you just have to mount the stuff somewhere, which is easy, and you'll hafta do that anyways. but, the light is clear white, with the color flicker of course from the projector lens. i would suggest saving up and doing it the right way. blue lights look bad, its bad on your eyes, and the light output isn't great.