MIL Hi there teh barracks crew, considering taking Uncle Sam's money

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by pmoney, Oct 29, 2008.

1. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

and joining the Army.

A little bit aboot myself. First year dental student, I was considering the scholarship (Health professions scholarship program) before this year but decided against it. Essentially I am considering having them pay the last 3 years of my dental school...serve 3 active in return (+1 year neutral AEGD residency) + 4 IRR. I haven't decided completely or anything but am seriously considering it. I'd spend 3 summers (one of them to go to OBC) between dental school (6 weeks) as 2LT in MSC, after I graduate get O3 Dental Corps.

Tell me about life as an officer in the Army, maybe TurboManiacal can chime in here. I understand I will not be a line officer and (hopefully) will not have that asshole mentality that plagues all teh doctors out there...realizing the Army is there for those guys out on the line, you're just there to support them.

As far as deployments go, I know Korea is 1 year unaccompanied, what about a place like Germany. Are all the other foreign assignments 3 years or are they 2? The reason I ask is looking this far down the line, if I do plan on getting out after 4 years, I don't know how I'd be applying for civillian/VA jobs in the states while I am overseas.

APFT - I think I can score pretty decent on this, need to get my run up, I'm pretty skinny, just need to get back into cardio :o.

I'd like to hear any advice or whatever. I will have like 10k in loans coming in...is it possible to save any money during say 4 years in the service? Or does everyone live paycheck to paycheck?

2. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

i save money every month as an O-1 but i'm AF :dunno:

3. Bounty15

Bounty15 OT Supporter

Korea is transitioning to an accompanied tour. Some areas of the country already are (and have been) accompanied tours. You can definitely save (especially as a CPT), but it depends on what kind of lifestyle you live. It might take a bit of extra work, but you can absolutely line up work or job search while overseas.

FYI, O-2 (in November) in the Army.

4. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

Thanks for the responses, I still need to contact the recruiter. From when I was last looking into it, they are salivating over any potential recruits for this program...