Hi-Speed Hookup Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tryfuhl, Nov 23, 2003.

1. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

a friend of mine gave me a computer...apparently had problems with trying to use the cable service on that computer...we tried a couple of NIC cards, including one fresh out of the package that i had just bought....xp loaded the drivers (there were no xp drivers on the disk that came with it but it said on the package that it was xp compatible, it's just a regular linksys 10/100 fast ethernet nic card)

so the computer said that the card was installed and working properly when i checked in the device manager, no irq conflicts or anything....it even said that it was connected to the ethernet connection....however, when i try to use IE to view a web page, it doesn't work....cannot find server, blah blah...disabled the firewall, still nothing...

hook the cable to his laptop, he can view web pages....i checked the internet options, blah blah blah....everything seemed to be fine and he tried troubleshooting it and no luck that way either...

i can dial-up and connect and view pages no problem

any suggestions?

i'm not overly familiar with this stuff so dumb it down if you will :)

thanks

2. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

your tcp/ip settings are most likely wrong. I asume you should be using dchp, check that it is the case...

3. Lee

Lee New Member

Go to start/run type CMD click ok.

Type ipconfig if the IP is 192.* 169.* or 0.0.0.0.

Your NIC is not pulling an IP.

Type ipconfig /release
    Then ipconfig /renew

If you don't get an error then type ipconfig and check your IP address.

4. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

thanks guys, i will try these out when i take the comp over to my cousin's in the next few days...i don't have a connection right here other than dial-up....

and if it narrows it down any or makes you think of anything else...brand new hard drive with xp pro loaded onto it and all of the security patches downloaded and in place

and a stupid question (I haven't used a computer much in the past year and a half, so XP is damn new to me as sad as that sounds) where are the settings to where i can choose to use dchp, i'm sure that i'll find it quickly but just in case you get to it before i do

:bowdown:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2003
  5. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

powercycle the modem, leave it unplugged for a minute, then check the ip, if it's a 169.x.x.x or 192.x.x.x dont bother troubleshooting just call your ISP, if it's a 192, it might be a billing issue, if it's a 169 means your comp can't communicate with DHCP server, dont bother with it just call your ISP and play dumb, they'll figure it out

6. Leb_CRX

if it's a new NIC and you didnt mess with settings, it default setting is already DHCP but just to confirm you can do start -> control pannel -> network and internet conections -> network connections -> Local area connection (double click on it) then properties, select tCp/ip and go properties and you can see, if it's assing IP and DNS automatically your DHCP basically...

you can also check the IP after you click on Local Area Connection, you can go to support tab and it shows you ip :eek3:

7. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

alright, thanks guys...

i was using it at his house...haven't gotten the hook up at my place yet so i'll try that soon if i have the problem when i hook it up at my house (the cable that is)

i forgot to put that this was not on a router, we hooked it to the cable modem....one of my friends told me that he has to reset (turn off) his cable modem before hooking up a different machine to it or else he has a problem....could that have been the issue as well?

8. Leb_CRX

Yes you need to powercycle the modem sometimes when switching devices, it wont pick up on the new MAC ID all the time or something, but ya powercycle it for about a minute

9. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

ok awesome, i think y'all have saved me from the woes of dial-up