SRS Hi I'm on Zoloft now, it's the first time i have ever been treated for depression

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by i killed tupac, Oct 31, 2006.

1. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

I have never in my life needed anti-depressants. I am a recovering drug addict, and have been clean for over 7 years, and have always prided myself in the fact that i have, until recently, lived a normal life :hs:

A few months ago, i started getting depressed and having anxiety, and even panic attacks, for no apparent external reason. It has been affecting my work, i've dodged all my friends, i rarely leave the house except to work and attend NA meetings, and even those have been hard. I always, now i see foolishley, looked down on people who have needed anti-depressants, like they could "just get over it"

Now, i see, that is not the case. It's like telling a diabetic to regulate his own blood sugar.

I started getting increased anger and agitation, couldnt sleep. I wake up multiple times a night in total panic. I made a doctors appointment today to deal with a persistant cold and talk about depression as a secondary reason. When it came time to go this morning, i was, literaly, unable to leave my house. I threw up in the shower from stress (this has been ongoing), couldnt eat, wanted to just die, eat a bottle of pills so i could just have a break in a hospital or something like that. I called my sponsor, and he left work and came and got me, took me to the doctors office, and was with me every step of the way, right down to the exam and everything.

The doctor has put me on a 50mg dosage of Zoloft per day. I dont know what to expect. It's my understanding that it is not mood altering, which i cannot take, it just regulates brain chemistry. I did decline a prescription for narcotics to take during panic episodes, I'm an addict and my brain doesnt know the difference between narcotics prescribed for me, and narcotics to ease pain. If i get a panic attack, i'll just ride it out like i have been. The panic and anxiety is attributed to the depression, so zoloft should treat it all.

:hs:

experience? strength? hope?

2. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

I don't think Zoloft is quite the right antidepressant if you're having anxiety attacks (but then again, SSRIs were nothing but pure hell for me). I'm surprised he didn't put you on Wellbutrin if you were having issues with anxiety/panic attacks.

However, I am no doctor.

Just be aware that should you decide you nbo longer want to take Zoloft, you shouldn't quit cold turkey.

3. i killed tupac

Well, the idea is the anxiety and panic is triggered by depression, which has lasted for months now, but i didnt want to admit it. I cant take narcotics or anything like that, so an SSRI seamed like the best choice. I've heard of great result, and lame results. Who knows?

4. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

kudos for accepting that you have a problem with anxiety/depression that is not your fault but also that you cannot control. That's important and a good first step.

What to expect? It's not mind altering. It won't make you suddenly 'feel great' (unless you're bipolar and it makes you manic, like SSRIs do with me) but it'll make you not feel so bad. If anxiety is caused by depression, which is very possible, it should ease it.

Now, don't expect to feel better overnight. It can take 6+ weeks before it starts to get better. So if you still feel like this 3 weeks from now, don't be totally alarmed. you could very well feel better overnight... everyone reacts differently. If you don't feel any difference within that 4-6 week window, may need to take something else. Prozac worked great for me.. but may not work for you as an example.

You should also consider therapy for the panic attacks and anxiety. While the root of the problem is overwhelmingly chemical in nature, there are ways that you can learn to ride out the panic attacks and stuff since you're not willing/able due to previous history to take anything for the panic attacks.

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to PM me.. i've been there myself man. Take care...

5. i killed tupac

yeah this is really wierd, its like crippling. I have no energy, i throw up all the time, im cold, i woke up shaking and stared at the ceiling for hours. I am going to get some counseling as soon as possible. I hope work understands.

6. lick wid nit wit

That's the consensus in some cases but not all.

I was what I thought bipolar for years with anxiety. But recently the docs decided I was PTSD which if I think about all the shit I've been through in my life, makes sense.

But from the research I've done (I research shit like this, having dealt with depression all my life), SSRIs aren't the best med for depression/anxiety. In fact, SSRIs make anxiety/panic attacks worse in a lot of cases. But I am no MD, I am just a dropout premed student.

7. lauren

lauren Active Member

could you elaborate?

8. Vixxen

Vixxen New Member

good luck to you

9. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Seems like these drugs are very dependent on the individual, so definetley stick with it for a few months and see how you feel. Your doctor might switch the type of drug if its not working out, but if you dont think its working out, don't be afraid to stand up to him and tell him. From my experience, many psychiatrists will push those drugs on anyone with an emotional problem. I think they should be a last resort if nothing else has worked or the depression is so severe that you can't function at all.

I did not like Zoloft. It was like I was dreaming or not even alive. No motivation, no feelings, nothing. I preferred being sad and angry to not feeling anything at all cause that atleast motivated me to change.

I found that extremely vigorous excersize and better diet combined with talk therapy and lots of self help books were much more helpful in the long term than Zoloft or Pexeva that I took for a year and half. If I ever relapse I would only consider brain altering drugs as a last resort.

10. i killed tupac

yeah i've noticed it makes me kinda groggy and spacey, course its only been 4 days, so im hoping its just the side effects.

11. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Yeah the side effects should lessen or go away after 2 weeks to a month. My first two weeks were really bad nasuea, lightheadedness, feeling like i was floating, just general misery. After 2 weeks that all went away and I was just left with that spaced out numb feeling.

12. i killed tupac

i called the doc, and he said give it a couple more days and call them on monday. the spaciness is transient, comes and goes. I dont feel real depressed currently, but still feel anxious about virtually everything.

13. lick wid nit wit

Not really because then my post would be three pages long. Go on the Internet and do some quick research.

14. lick wid nit wit

How long have you been taking said medication? A lot of psychiatric medication takes time to build up in the system. It can take a few weeks to show any sort of difference. These medications don't work overnight.

Also, this is not an exact science like prescribing amoxcillin for strep throat. The med you are on may not work for you and you may have to try two or three different ones before you find one that works for you.

15. i killed tupac

well, today i'm a lot less spacey and out of it. Even went out and did some "normal" things, like picked up my dry cleaning, shit like that. Got a little anxious while stuck in traffic :eek: and went into a few stores. Funny how thats a big deal for me now.

16. Voltekker

Voltekker Active Member

i was on zoloft for like 4 months. I went through A real rough patch and had similar type symptoms. What broke the camels back for me was an anxiety attack at work where my body just kind shut down and said sorry im not doing anything. I went to the doctor and talked to him and he gave me a zoloft starter pack and a 3 month perscription. It really helped me get through the rough patch I was in. It was easy to get off. I just got the tablets in half and then fourths until I ran out and that was it. It took a couple of weeks to kick in the first week was shitty it got me all out of wack.

Basically what it did to me was make me in different. I used to have real bad road rage while I was on zoloft somone could cut me off real bad and I wouldnt care. THe worst side affects I had, it killed my sex life while I was on it. My gf would complain and I didnt care :rofl: and the second worst one was the weight gain. I put on about 30 pounds, probably because I ate and then I just didnt feel like going to the gym.

I know that doesnt sound great but believe me it was worth the help the drug gave me.

17. i killed tupac

I actually ditched it already. I gave it a week, and here's the results:

day 1-virtually comatose
    day 2- see above. didnt leave couch for two days
    day 3-woke up with SEVERE panic attack, home all day, comatose
    day 4-woke up again with a MASSIVE panic attack, obsessive thoughts
    day 5-suicidal, obsessive thoughts, anger from nowhere
    day 6-felt ok, got out of the house, obsessive thoughts, got out in public. Random violent thoughts. Then presto! total insomnia. I watched the clock tick from 11p to 9a. Yet another missed day of work.

I talked to my doctor today, who had me stop the Zoloft altogether (hello headache) and starts me tomorrow on Prozac. From what i can tell, Prozac seams a little more suited to my case, since i am more anxiety/panic disorder than depressed. I dunno.

18. i killed tupac

oh, and although my sex life is currently a solo one, it's dead.

19. lick wid nit wit

One of the major side effects of the SSRI class of drugs is sexual dysfunction.

20. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

So are you going to a therapist for talk therapy as well?

21. i killed tupac

yes, i start thursday

22. J52k2

J52k2 New Member

SSRI's were horrible to me, so if you notice yourself not feeling any better you should talk to your doctor to maybe switching meds. Zoloft made me more depressed than I was, and I dont want you to go through the same hell.

23. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Hang in there. The people who do best are the ones who stick with it through a couple medicines at least.

24. i killed tupac

yeah me too. i woke up like i said having massive attacks, thought i was going crazy. Yesterday i took nothing, and i had a raging headache and my ears rang like all get out, it sucked. I suspect it was the lack of zoloft. So far today, first day on prozac, my stomach doesnt hurt, no headache, etc. Much better.