WEB Hi guys, I want to build a website myself for my Personal Training Business.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Patrick Bateman, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Active Member

Nothing crazy, but I want it to look nice. I have done a lot of work with Photoshop and have created websites before, are there any tips where I can put something up quickly? Also how much would it cost to buy a .com domain and to host it, and where/how would i start?

If someone helps me out I will return the favor with any fitness/workout/diet advice you may need/want. Remember, I want to make the site myself. I just want to know what the latest, smartest moves/programs would be to use because my HTML and coding is pretty much forgotten from years ago.

2. marcom10

marcom10 ...

You should look into a free service like www.weebly.com

Can make some nice sites there. Reg domain at godaddy.

3. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

I'd use some sort of CMS with a nice theme (Drpual, wordpress, etc.) you can get hosting dirt cheap too. What exactly do you want the site to consist of?

4. fishbulb

fishbulb Active Member

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  5. marcom10

marcom10 ...

Oh yea, forgot about squarespace

6. whomadewho

whomadewho Ohhh FCN Ohhhhh FCN!

that's a pretty impressive site

7. marcom10

marcom10 ...

:werd:

they wanted me to do contract design work but i won't be able to because of my schedule in the fall :sadwavey:

8. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

why not just go to a programming company, beat up a few nerds and have the rest code you the website overnight, while they cower on the floor pissing all over themselves?

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

You can purchase domains from www.godaddy.com. They're usually pretty cheap, sometimes no more than $10/year. Along with a domain, you'll need hosting. Head over to BounceWeb.com for cheap deals on shared hosting. It'll cost you something like $7 a month. With this, you'll be good to go and have all the services you need to run a successful business online.

Keep in mind, this is your business, and because of it... I wouldn't recommend what most people here are saying... That is, download a theme, run it on WordPress or Drupal and be done with it. Very few people here have actually ran a successful business and know what it takes to be successful online with it. This is your business. The sole thing that's going to represent your marketing entity online. Because of this, I'm going to offer you what I think is best for someone in your shoes.

Firstly, get rid of the "I want to do it all myself" mindset. You cannot be a master at everything. But you can master certain things and let the professionals handle the rest. I don't know how much skill you have in Photoshop, but that isn't all you need. You need to have a good sense of design, a concept of web usability, and a strong vision of the business entity you wish to represent online. Be focused with it. I don't believe that the free themes everyone likes is good for a business entity. I believe there is a unique solution to every problem when it comes to web design. What I mean by that, is the design for your website will need to be unique and molded exactly to your company vision and marketing needs. If you know how to design a website already, then I would assume you know a little about this. If not, I would suggest hiring a professional designer for your business entity. Again, I cannot express how important high quality work is when it comes to representing your business... Assuming that business is your bread and butter, and it is your life. If so, you'll understand the importance of this concept.

Secondly, get a good copy writer. More than half of your users will read the first sentence of your website and then click away to another site or go to some other location of your website. Bad copy can be harmful to your business, and many times can make you appear unprofessional. Good copy writing will take your website a long way because a lot of good copywriters know how to capture your audience and feed them exactly what they need to hear to deliver the information they need or to have them invest into your products. This is a step many people overlook, and many do not see the importance of it.

Thirdly, do NOT skimp out on development! A good design can quickly turn bad if it gets in the hands of a poor developer. HTML has changed so much since the last time you saw it that it has taken a whole new form. Good and proper semantic HTML can result in positive SEO benefits. Hire someone who knows what they're doing and knows how to code well. You don't need a genius. There are guys who are really good at what they do and charge an extremely affordable rate.

I'm not harping on guys who are advocates to free themes and easy setups. I just believe when representing an online business identity you should make it the best you possibly can to ensure success and ROI.

A quick breakdown...
    1. Get focused with your company vision, business goals, and marketing identity.
    2. Get host and domain name. Follow instructions in e-mail to setup.
    3. Design your website, or hire a designer, making sure to coordinate your vision and any other design guidelines or brandings they have to follow.
    4. Hire a good copywriter that can turn one of your products into a catalog of awesomeness.
    5. Coordinate all your assets to your developer... Have him put it together.

Once you have completed your website... Do not do what most companies do and leave it there. Update it. Provide news, press releases, anything you can that can help the success of your business.

Over the years, I have built-up a catalog of resources. If you wish to know more, PM. I could use some fitness advice anyway. :naughty:

10. shaitaan

shaitaan New Member

squarespace looks pretty amazing

11. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Shopify rocks. I love the new api/plugins