GUN Hey Yar 3 gun question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TwistedMind, Oct 17, 2009.

1. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

From all the 3 gun videos I watch it seem most people are using 16" Ar's Is there a reason?

Seems like a SBR would speed up your run a little bit but you do this and I don't so I was curious.

Also, could you run a pistol caliber in an ar platform for 3 gun?

Probably silly questions

2. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Alot of his vids are from CA IIRC, and NFA is either illegal, or generally not worth bringing in for these matches

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

It can be done and it depends on how the matches you attend are set up. If you go to a match that run uspsa multigun rules there is a minimum power factor for the ammo. A 223 in a SBR might not be going fast enough to make the power floor. In fact some 55gr ammo in a 16" barrel does not make minor. Then you end up shooting for no score. If your match runs international multi gun rules there is no power factor.

Secondly if your match has a lot of long range the SBR's are at a disadvantage. The longer barrel AR's tend to do better as they got more FPS. In CA where every match goes out to 350 yards if not 400+ you see a lot of 18" barrels. If your local matches max out at 200 or 100 then a SBR or a pistol caliber would be more practical.

From what I've seen very few people run legit SBR's. Seen a few people do this like some cav arms guys but they are not competitive. It's probably more the shooter than the gun. You do see guys running 14.5's w/ a 3" welded brake. This really isn't a SBR but this is the short end of the spectrum for 3 gun. Another item to consider is that most rifle racks at matches are too tall for even 14.5's. I hear these guys complain all the time and the match staff then has to mock up the rack by installing a short piece of 2x4 onto to rack for their rifle.

My next rifle will be a 16, I'm running a 18 now.