COMIC Hey, Why is it that everyone hates DBZ?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by DMX, Jan 13, 2003.

1. DMX

DMX Guest

I happen to like it, I happen to like Akira and Outlaw Star as well.

What is so bad about DBZ? If anything, i'd hate DB since there is so much comical stuff and not enough fighting, but its o..k..

whats up?

2. gen5

gen5 Guest

dragon ball (not z) started out as a action comedy while z is the opposite, i guess people hate the repetitive fighting. i am glad they decided to end it instead of keep going and going and destroy a classic. all in all i enjoy the whole series, at least the chinese and japanese version. as far as the jokes go, the amercian version makes you go :wtf:, that could be why you don't like the comedy part.

3. I Are Azn

I Are Azn Legends have no aftermarket!

Repetitive fighting with guys just getting more powerful by transforming.

That pretty much sums it up. Its kinda like street fighter series honestly how many of you played any of those after SF II Champ/Hyper?

As for the comedy department I thought Ninku was better.

4. notorious_pip

notorious_pip Big Pip-in'

It was interesting for a while, but the way they tried to make each episode the equivalent of each manga made it have a lot of dead time. I mean a lot of the manga was just panels and panels of fighting, so it was difficult to transfer that over into the anime. Instead of moving on they tried to make it tense and suspenseful with the talking, but it just made it boring.

I also agree that the American voices and jokes make the series painfully worse than it already is.

5. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

I like some saga's. but for the most part, it seems like the plot is fabricated and forced instead of a free-flowing and natural. I have no problem with the comedy, though. all in all, the environment and mood feels too childish when I watch most (NOT ALL) of the episodes

I'd rather watch action comedies that have more depth like Full Metal Panic!

6. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

It repeats, and repeats, and repeats, and repeats and...

You get the idea.

7. Taker

Taker 找死吗?

i love DB...

DBZ sux tho imo

8. DMX

DMX Guest

Oh man tough crowd.

The voices are ok, I personally dont have a problem with them, when I hear the original japanese voices and music though its like "ack!!!" way too "feminine".

Is there anything wrong with the "Americanizing" that was done to the series? The background music is much better suited for our audience IMO.

The censoring is a bit of a problem, I have seen a few scenes from the original japanese(?) versions and compared them our versions and have to wonder what the big deal is? Pointless cuts and edits only confuse things, I guess the american audience is more ummm sensitive? (whatever)

As far as the comedy, enemies like fat Buu just annoyed me to no end, something about his stupid voice and antics just irked me, that kind of comedy is what I am talking about.

DBZ also has its "intense" moments, was noone moved near the end of the cell saga after Goku teleported cell away to save everyone, and poor little Gohan cried out for him? Or in the Buu saga when Goku had to return to otherworld and Goten jumped and wrapped his around him?

I must just be a "fanboy" I can't understand why people hate the show so much.

9. tenchuninja

tenchuninja Guest

dragonball GT :o

10. gen5

gen5 Guest

gt is their way of saying: stop bitching, don't want repetitive fighting with eleventy billion tons of power? got it. want young goku? got it. want to actually see them searching for dragonballs again? got that too. they clearly heard the hardcore dragonball fans to bring back the original, but i don't think it was such a big hit. is it still ongoing? i saw the first few episodes a long time ago, i wouldn't mind finish it if i know where to get it.

11. tenchuninja

tenchuninja Guest

you got it all wrong. i'm saying that GT was just to milk more money from the cash cow. Akira Toriyama wasn't even involved with GT.

12. CheeseCake

CheeseCake Guest

its so damn repetetive, and every episode at least 10 minnutes of it is goku going "rrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!" while flexing and jumping towards the screen

13. gen5

gen5 Guest

i never said they weren't in it for the money, of course they are, same with most of the anime out there. but in order for them to cash in, they brought back what people want to see. money and consumer taste always go hand in hand.
    toriyama was tired of dragonball therefore he didn't want to get involved. but i remember reading an interview, that he actually was impressed with gt. maybe he should do a dragonball/dr.slump crossover again, arale-chan will kick goku ass :big grin:

14. lordcoca

lordcoca Wading in the Velvet Sea

Dragonball rocks:bigthumb: but DBZ isn't all that great:(

15. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

I liked Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball Z got a little repetitive. The fights took forever! Should call it Drag On Ball Z

16. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

I hate it like I hate Pokemon: That's all American know! Anime = pokemon and DBZ.

And yeah, it's repetitive too. One fight spans ten episodes! (The book is like that too)

17. AsianRage

AsianRage Know about Media Ventures?

:werd:

18. Scud

Scud I'm an aquired taste.

I loved it since I was 8, I just hate it since it came to the states and they crapped it all up. I normally like any series till its converted and aired on american television... hell even Sailor Moon was decent before the American Cencorship commity got a hold of it.

And you should have seen some of the original Transformers pilots... mass destruction :big grin: