hey this has been troubling me

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by rsxratedr, Dec 21, 2004.

1. rsxratedr

rsxratedr New Member

hey i know wat hp means =horsepower but wat does whp mean? whp=???????

2. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

wheel horse power. HP on a dyno means crap. Its what your wheels put to the ground that matters.

3. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

WHP = Wheel Horse Power
    Hp at the wheels is usually 20% less than HP at the crank (correct me if Im wrong)

4. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Active Member

You are a moron, what the hell do you think dynoes read. :slap:

bhp (base or break horse power) is a measurement of how much horsepower the engine is making at the crank or flywheel.... which is how all car companies rate there cars.

Every car on the face of the planet loses power through the transmission and the rest of the drivetrain. whp (wheel horsepower) measures how much power is left after it gets transfered through the tranny and drivetrain and makes it to the wheels...

5. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

No, you are a moron. It doesn't matter wha dynos read because they are NOT real world examples of what really gets put to the ground. Case in point - Supras can put out mad numbers on a rolling dyno but can't translate that power to momentum thus HP on a dyno means crap. :slap: You can worship numbers but I'll take results.

6. Slash

Slash New Member

With higher numbers it gives you a potential to have higher results regardless.... At that point its all up to the driver

7. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

:werd: Without a skilled driver, all the dyno numbers in the world mean nothing.

8. Grayham

Grayham New Member

Around 10-15% for FWD and RWD. 20% is normal for most AWD cars.

You still need good tires. :noes: You also have to factor in drivetrain configuration, the weight of the car, and many other things.

9. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Active Member

Getting the power to the ground is entirely different then wheel horsepower.. and if you can't make good numbers on a dyno, it doesn't matter how perfect your traction is or how skilled of a driver you are, the potential is just not there.

Supras with lots of power may not shine on the strip, but they aren't huge torque monsters.... well yeah, you might be putting out 800whp and 800wtq......after your turbo spools at 4500rpm's.

Put a supra on the highway, where it can put the power to the ground, and you'll see those results. Supras are not built with drag racing in mind like all these domestic cars.

10. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

I know. I have noticed in the US that waaay too many people worship a dyno and what a car does on it is the be all end all. IIRC, there was the SUPER STREET Ultimate Streetcar Challenge where an 800hp Viper got its ass kicked because sure, it had a lot of HP and torque but without an ability to put that power to the ground, it was all meaningless. I guess its because all the majority of Americans care about is drag racng in a straight line or going in circles. :rolleyes:

No matter the situation though, driver skill is the BEST upgrade you can ever do to your car.

11. Grayham

Grayham New Member

Domestic cars aren't built to drag race. Do you think when car designers and engineers sit down and design a car they say: "We want this car to be as fast as possible on the track."? No, they want to design a car for the street. It's up to the owner to decide if they want to spend thousands of dollars building up the engine, drivetrain, etc. so that the car can run fast 1/4 miles.

12. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Active Member

In case you haven't noticed...most domestic cars tend to do really well on drag strips and horrible around corners. Either US engineering sucks, or they're appealing to the rednecks... or both? :dunno:

Either way, domestic cars are tailored to drag racing regardless of weather or not their designers intended for them to be. Supras, are not. You're taking a car that shines on a track and comparing it to cars that shine on a strip. :ugh2:

13. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

LOL, give a guy a break he is learning.

14. Eric Happy Meal

Eric Happy Meal New Member

1. that was Sport Compact Car
    2. that viper was setup for circuit style racing
    3. the strip that it was held on was VERY unforgiving, and was very easey to get wheelspin on
    4. Paul Mumford (RIP) had more driver skill than youll EVER happen to have, dont knock on his car without knowing shit about it.

and since you dont seem to be the smartest, the car that beat it had AWD. and a good track suspension setup =/= a good drag suspension setup.

kthxbye.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  15. Eric Happy Meal

oh yeah, that viper that "got its ass kicked" won that event, and the event includes EVERYTHING that would be asked of a street car.

yup he sure did get his ass kicked! especially when he was 6 seconds faster than the next car (skyline) on the road course. Mumford put down a 1:15.6

16. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Eric, I understand that since you have a very small penis you feel the need to lash out at people. Thats ok. But, you don't have to hate the world because you are so lacking. Come on, this is the internet. Nobody gives a shit about you. OK.

There are drivers who have more skill than me? Naw shit?!?! Qucik, somebody give me the number to the NY TIMES so they can run a front page story!:rolleyes:

17. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

the faggotry in this thread is astounding...

18. Eric Happy Meal

so, because i showed your ignorance of said subject, and corrected you, that makes me have a small penis?

19. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Such is the internet. Anonymity plus a need to be badass in a non-threatening environment. :greddy: Nobody really cares though. Try to help out people and just put the fucktards on the IGNORE list.

20. Eric Happy Meal

:bigthumb: