MIL hey soldiers, i need some info...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SweetDaddyO, Nov 12, 2005.

1. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

my cousin recently joined the army after struggling for several years with a drug addiction. without going into lots of detail on his situation, i do think it was a good move, and that more than anything he just needed a change of scenery and some self-confidence.

now i'm an air force flyer, so i don't know too much about army training. he apparently signed up for airborne, and so far has made it through boot and is now at AIT. i guess my first question is, what is AIT? how long is it and what's involved? where would he go after that?

i guess i'm curious because i have every hope that he'll succeed and make us all proud, but i'm also nervous because he's never been the infantry type (no school sports, very quiet, small build, etc) and i'd hate to see him fail, since i think it might send him back into a downward spiral.

any info would be appreciated...

2. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

AIT = Army version of Air Force tech school. Length and curriculum depends on the job. If hehad Airborne in his enlistment contract he will go to jumpschool after AIT, and then report to permanent party.

3. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

you mentioned infantry so i am assuming he enlisted as an infantryman. infantry basic and ait is combined into one training cycle called OSUT. but basically his basic training is 9 weeks and his infantry AIT is 5 weeks for a total of 14 weeks. upon completing AIT he will go to airborne school. airborne school is all backed up now so he will be in airborne hold for a week or two then he will do airborne school for 3 weeks. upon completing airborne school he may take leave or go straight to his unit. it depends on the needs of the army if he gets leave or not.