Hey, recommend something for a noob

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by nbiggershaft, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbiggershaft

nbiggershaft New Member

I was wading through the archives to find a good workout routine, but a lot of what is posted is a little heavy on the time. I can make it to the gym 4-5 times a week but I only have about 1 hr and mabye a bit more to devote to both muscle building and cardio. The lighter workouts I saw were all based around alot of work on a 3 day schedule. So I was hoping to find something more spread out.

A little background: 6' 165 lb. Used to be 4% bf, just cuz i was a skinny bastard and did lots of sports, prolly around 10-15% now. looking for minor visible improvements in 2 months, particularly in abs, chest, shoulders. I probably spend about 30 minutes or so on cardio stuff, and know what I am doing there, but I am pretty lost on weightlifting.

2. Memor

Memor Active Member

1) you weren't / aren't at those BF%s most likely

2) why do you only have an hour?

3) the stickied routine in this forum (NoQuarter's) is a good example of a multi-day split spread out over a week

4) if you're a noob and 165lbs, you're going to make gains fast in the beginning - having a super perfect cardio vs. lifting routine/balance isn't the thing to focus on, it's more just staying consistent, working hard, and eating better

5) the 'minor improvements' you want need to be done via building muscle, since you probably have very little LBM at 6' and 165 - so again, work, eat and lift hard

3. nbiggershaft

nbiggershaft New Member

1. We had a thing in my fitness class that was supposed to measure your bf, thats what I was at, it may have been wrong, but I was 145 and 6' at the time.

2. The time in between my morning class and my first meeting in the day (about 2 hours -lunch), I have a really busy semester and don't think I can make it out any other time

3. Thanks (I'll look for it, got a link perchance?)

4. What you mean by this? dropping the cardio, or?

5. Thanks again :wavey:

4. Memor

Memor Active Member

1. Those things are crap - it's very difficult to accurately measure BF%, even with hydrostatic testing and so forth. People usually think they are way lower than they are. Don't worry about the %, use the mirror to assess your gains.

2. Are you really sure you have no other time? What about in the morning before classes (get up earlier)? There are people who work 2+ jobs with kids and everything that still manage to set time aside for training and handle their business.

4. What I mean is, I wouldn't worry as much about having to do a ton of cardio and maintain some level of BF%, or worry about having a perfect lifting routine - you'll improve a lot very quickly and a lot of times even people who slack on their diets (I'm not advocating that) when starting out lifting hard and correctly still end up looking way better after a few months from the size they've put on.

5. keeler

keeler New Member

i do NoQuarters routine and it takes me about 35 minutes to do all the lifts and i normally warm up with 10 minutes of cardio. Also i split the arms and shoulders into two days.

6. nbiggershaft

nbiggershaft New Member

hey can you link me to it? :wavey:

7. keeler

keeler New Member

its in the sticky: something about wanting to be a bodybuilder or at least look like one. you should actually read that and the nutrition EDU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.